PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SemmyK9

Lurker
Aug 25, 2022
First timer here. I have a Dunhill with a broken stem and would like to know who it should be sent to in order to have the stem repaired. Really want to keep the original in use if possible as opposed to a whole new stem. Hoping someone here is able to help. Thanks in advance!8111CA59-655B-4B93-B772-2B9E4C40BABD.jpeg

Attachments

• B95E9D01-8A69-4FCD-A8F4-83BA9DE13770.jpeg
    B95E9D01-8A69-4FCD-A8F4-83BA9DE13770.jpeg
    245.4 KB · Views: 5

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Wet your finger and run it around the end of the shank, then blow on it and wait a few seconds.

If the shank got cracked when the tenon snapped, the crack will appear darker than the surrounding wood long enough to see it clearly.

Mentioning it because some of those 475 shanks are pretty thin and break easily.

If it is broken, your pipe will need a band as well as a new tenon.

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
SemmyK9 -- I normally would recommend Mike Myers at Wallace Pipe Repairs but he's recently retired. I received a repair this week on a Peterson stem (this is actually a cigar holder mouthpiece/stem repair but he's done pipes for me too).I mentioned to him that I'm on the lookout for another reputable pipe repair craftsman for future dropped pipes (LOL) and he emailed yesterday a contact I have not tried yet, but many here may know.

Perhaps:
Tim West or Briarville for repairs?

Thanks Mike for the heads up regarding Tim. Be advised Tim, if you're reading this, I dop lots of stuff and will likely be emailing you soon! :))) LOL
kindly
mike

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
. . . Perhaps:
Tim West or Briarville for repairs? . . . .
Oops, I misread Mike's email, it appears Mike was good to send two repair places as potential resources for my future breakages; one in Ohio and one in Wyoming. I bet both are good!
Sorry for the error above!
kindly
mike

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Oops, I misread Mike's email, it appears Mike was good to send two repair places as potential resources for my future breakages; one in Ohio and one in Wyoming. I bet both are good!
Sorry for the error above!
kindly
mike

The Wyoming suggestion would be Tony Maddox.

The last time I talked to him he stopped working on pipes several years ago to specialize on making ladder-style sights for black powder cartridge rifles (Sharps, etc.), and was looking for a buyer for his pipe-related equipment. (He's an excellent machinist)

It's possible he went back to pipes, but I thought I'd mention it in case you have trouble reaching him through "pipe channels".

Reactions: kcghost