PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

docaitch

Lurker
May 15, 2018
A good friend just gifted me with a large unsmoked (until yesterday) Dunhill Shell ODB 835.
I am not very familiar with Dunhills, only having 4 others in my collection.
I believe that the date stamp is a “0” bu there is a vertical mark after the “0” which could be a stamp artifact or it could be a “1” except that “01” is not a listed thing.
The pipe is quite large- It is the lower pipe in this group of a BST billiard and a pre 2000 Charatan billiardC54BDB42-172F-4CBB-8C55-4CC42624004E.jpeg
A50A0AE9-3EBD-4A89-B939-FEB2935C0ACD.jpeg

Here is the stamping area
984DA44A-4746-4E5F-939E-CF5C375AFA31.jpeg

I would appreciate some comments from the Dunhill mavens:
1)I don’t know what an “ODB” is (have found info on “ODA”),
2)don’t know the group size (can’t find any markings other than those shown),
3)and would like some confirmation of the date which I believe to be 1970.
Thanks for considering
docaitch

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
ODB is " supposed" to be a size or so up from the ODA,though not always. During my Dunhill days, I bought a new ODA saddle bit billiard Shell Briar that was a group number larger (in my opinion) than the other ODAs I then owned.Then,In the late 90s,I picked up an ODB (smooth finish)sorry,I don't recall the name they had for that finish,from Dunhill in NYC.It seemed to me to be a 1/4 size larger than a normal ODA,but still smaller than the monster ODA Shell Briar I have before mentioned.On my same trip to Dunhills, I saw an ODC in a smooth finish that was about the same size as a normal ODA.So........All this talk of Dunhill pipes has me thinking of collecting a few oversized Dunhill pipes.I miss my oversized Dunhills ,they were good smokers,and I kick myself energetically for selling them. Now that I have you (and the other smokers)here,At the Dunhill shop on my same visit,they were trying to sell an estate group 6 Root Briar as a new pipe.I told the salesman,who was a nice guy, that I could smell sweet Virginia tobacco in the chamber,and that I wanted a discount. The salesman called the manager,who would not face me,or speak to me,and through the salesman, I haggled down the price of the Root Briar,not by much,a couple hundred,as I recall.An adventure, to be sure.I did buy the Root,a straight Apple, only to sell it later.I give you permission to kick me for doing that.Still on the look out for that pipe . To quote Joseph Conrad, "Ahh,Youth". Hope this helps.?

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
The OD designation refers to Own Design. The "A" refers to the quality of of the briar. According to Rich Esserman, he was explaining that the suffix letters can go as far as "J". I'm guessing that might be referring to dead root, Dunhill's highest grade.
I'd read on the forum about a guy with an OD pipe, which was originally stamped ODB (plus the shape number) he was asking about the "B" being striked through and an "A" stamped next to it.
Another member supplied the answer, that when the pipe had been for sale originally ODB was more expensive, so the nomenclature was changed to ODA, to reduce the price. I'll see if I can find the original thread.