PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

addamsruspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
Morning all. Hoping I can pick some brains out there. I have gotten myself a very nice Rogers Rarity pipe. I am trying to track down more information about them and what date range it was likely made in. So I found the Pipedia entry on Custom-Bilt that references Rogers Rarity pipes as being made by the Custom-Bilt company or by Custom-Bilt after it was sold in 1953. Now it says the company was purchased by Leonard Rodgers which originally made me think that is were the name Rogers Rarity came from(even with the slight difference in the spelling of Rogers/Rodgers). Which would put the Pipe starting at 1953. However I then found a catalog page selling Rogers Rarity pipes from 1947 which blew that theory out of the water. So now I am down to a possible date range of 1934 to 1953. Anyone out there have any more information that might help. Below is the pipe and the print add. Thanks

s-l1600-2-600x450.jpg
capture-600x363.jpg

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I'm seeing ads come up in my google search in 1948/1949 Popular Science and Life magazines showing Rogers tobacco and pipe pouches. The "Combination Model" pouch went for $10.00. The ad says you can order a Rogers Rarity pipe to go with it for an extra five bucks.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Hi addamsruspipe,
I can add a bit more. First, "Rodgers" is a misspelling; it was always spelled "Rogers". Three generations of the Rogers family ran one of the leading importers of pipes (including Petersons for a number of years) and resellers of pipes and smokers articles; they also did a bit of manufacturing. The name of the company was Rogers Imports, Inc.
Second, for several reasons I also believe that Rogers Rarity pipes were made for Rogers Imports by CustomBilt.
The Rogers Rarity line was introduced by the company in late 1945. The advertising copy from the spring of 1946 described Rogers Rarity pipes as "The height of pipe luxury and enjoyment", and claimed that they were "Carved by hand of Algerian bruyere over 150 years old". Was it true? I would guess not, but age fabrication regarding the briar from which pipes were made was a kind of industry trope for generations. While most of the Rarity pipes apparently sold for $5, the listed price range stated various models cost from $5-25. The $5 pipes were available in natural and grain finishes; there was also a $10 version called the Rogers Rarity Deluxe that was sterling banded and meerschaum lined.
I can't be sure when the line ceased production, but believe it was by the end of 1949. Certainly Rogers Rarity pipes are no longer listed in the RTDA Almanac from 1950 on, and mentions of the pipe in advertisements to consumers become thin on the ground. More tellingly newspaper ads from 1951 show the pipe heavily discounted, suggesting that excess inventory of an obsolete line was being flushed through the channel.
I therefore suspect that your pipe dates from between the end of 1945 and the end of 1949. For any pipe not explicitly date-coded (ala Dunhill or Parker) getting to a 4 year window of production represents a very successful outcome.
Rgds,

Jon

addamsruspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
Thanks Jon, I really appreciate the information. On some pipes I'm ok with just knowing it a 30 year old pipe or a 50 year old pipe. But on the ones that really hit my sweat spot it always adds to the pleasure knowing more about them. :D

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I'm not sure it is legal to date a pipe. But, since nearly everything is acceptable these days, it probably is OK. Just don't take pictures. 8O

jayski

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2017
This is one of the best reasons to be on this forum. Knowledge of pipes here makes it the google of pipe smoking! I knew I wouldn’t be the first to poke fun of the title either.

Status
Not open for further replies.