PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

draco

Might Stick Around
Dec 27, 2014
I just acquired a new to me estate Dunhill Cumberland in very good nick. I am currently cleaning it a bit.
My question is about the date of it. It appears to be ENGLAND24 I have some idea of how to date these pipes but my table ends at 22 but if I am correct this pipe was made in 1984 but would like some feedback as to if I am right.
Thanks

Draco
Fixed thread title, please see rule number 9. Pertinent portion: Please capitalize words in the thread titles. Thank you, Robert.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
After '78 Dunhills had a five digit style number. If yours has that then the '84 assumption is probably correct. Here is a reference source.

https://pipedia.org/index.php?title=A_Dunhill_Pipe_Dating_Guide&oldid=12109

draco

Might Stick Around
Dec 27, 2014
Gloucesterman that is the rub and why I am unsure. Seems that the Cumberland finish started in 1980 and yet mine has a four digit shape number. The number and markings are all on the bottom and appear as below:
4103 on bowl bottom followed by the below on the shank bottom

DUNHILL CUMBERLAND

MADE IN ENGLAND24
I agree it seems like it should be 1984 and yet the for digit shape says pre 78 and yet supposedly not even made before 1980...scratching head LOL!!!

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
You have a 1984 Dunhill. The five-digit numbering system did not last that long after 1978.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
At some point Dunhill went to the four digit codes as reflected in the currently available pipes. I'm no authority but I suspect the five digit codes were dropped after '82. Under the current code that pipe should be a group 4, tapered bit, billiard. 4-1-03 4 being bowl size, 1 being bit type and 03 being shape. That designation would be independent of the date code. The underlined 24 at the end of England is consistent with the 80s period and the Cumberland was available at that date. I'd say you're right.

draco

Might Stick Around
Dec 27, 2014
buroak thanks for the info. The info I have been using doesn't go past 82 so no info on the reversion to four-digit numbering system. Makes sense now.
Thanks

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Sounds like you have a nice pipe, Draco. The Cumberland finish was actually introduced in 1979 (finding one is rare and perhaps because they were introduced that first year in limited numbers). The marking you posted is common for the year 1984 and the underlined 24 certainly means that yours was made in 1984.

draco

Might Stick Around
Dec 27, 2014
I will post some pics here soon. It is currently going through my cleaning process that use on any as is estate pipe. I will post before and after pics.
Thank you everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.