PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noonnoon

Lurker
Dec 25, 2020
Wow!! Never expect a lot pf feedbacks right here. Thanks all of you for opinions.

Interestingly I’m just found a short article of guy who own Sasieni that exactly stamp like me. (link below)
He not own just one but two. Both had same double step tenon like mine. No PAT no. at all and feature shape no. Not town name.
Further more one of his own is Sanblasted !! Just didn’t stamp SB after shape no.

I don’t know what i found and what it is.
But a lot to me my Sasieni presumably it’s the one for EU market probably after WWII. Early or late. I don’t know. Due it’s sandblasted,right ?
Carry over the fish tail stamp.
And the stem should be original one refer to sample on the link? Is it done for this type of market?
Only confuse the shape that no relate any where on internet resources.

Counterfeit word seem to away from my head.
Any further opinions is much appreciated.
Or if you had one of EU market. Please enlighten me.

Here is the link.

mug of the pipe, by the pipe, and for the pipe Sasieni one dot #51 - http://yeoldewasabi.blog104.fc2.com/blog-entry-31.html

Sasieni one dot #39 - mug of the pipe, by the pipe, and for the pipe - http://yeoldewasabi.blog104.fc2.com/blog-entry-45.html?sp

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It may be the genuine article. You'll need some better documentation by way of some Sasieni literature, catalogs and/or advertisements. For me, the big problem is the model number, which is for a completely different shape. What shape, or shapes, did model number 71 represent prior to 1946, which is the year that Sasieni retired the fishtail logo? Then the next big problem is a fishtail logo sandblast.
I just took a look at my copies of the 1923, 1935, and 1949 Sasieni Catalogs and this pipe doesn't quite fit with any of them. Could be that it's a European only model and not represented in the catalogs intended for the US market.
Sasieni was offering sandblasts by 1949, but the fishtail logo had been discontinued. So if you can establish that Sasieni was offering sandblasts prior to 1946 that's a step in the right direction. The model number thing is a bit strange, as Sasieni had been using town names by 1923.
Likewise, the tenons pictured in the earlier catalogs are not stepped. And, none of my pre and post war Sasieni pipes have a stepped tenon. So that's interesting as well. And, if this is a later European One Dot with a fishtail logo, where's the patent number? The patent ran out in 1950, four years after the fishtail logo was discontinued. So there are some head scratchers here. It's like there are all of these parts, but they don't quite fit together.

Reactions: dmcmtk

Noonnoon

Lurker
Dec 25, 2020
It may be the genuine article. You'll need some better documentation by way of some Sasieni literature, catalogs and/or advertisements. For me, the big problem is the model number, which is for a completely different shape. What shape, or shapes, did model number 71 represent prior to 1946, which is the year that Sasieni retired the fishtail logo? Then the next big problem is a fishtail logo sandblast.
I just took a look at my copies of the 1923, 1935, and 1949 Sasieni Catalogs and this pipe doesn't quite fit with any of them. Could be that it's a European only model and not represented in the catalogs intended for the US market.
Sasieni was offering sandblasts by 1949, but the fishtail logo had been discontinued. So if you can establish that Sasieni was offering sandblasts prior to 1946 that's a step in the right direction. The model number thing is a bit strange, as Sasieni had been using town names by 1923.
Likewise, the tenons pictured in the earlier catalogs are not stepped. And, none of my pre and post war Sasieni pipes have a stepped tenon. So that's interesting as well. And, if this is a later European One Dot with a fishtail logo, where's the patent number? The patent ran out in 1950, four years after the fishtail logo was discontinued. So there are some head scratchers here. It's like there are all of these parts, but they don't quite fit together.

Many thanks for your informative opinion sir.
It seem doesn’t fit here. But per the link that i found above. (sorry it’s in Japanese)
The author also stated that his possession one dot shape no. (#39 and #51) doesn’t fit the catalogue shape as well. Furthermore both pipes featured step tenon like mine.
It’s paradox here.

Reactions: sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Many thanks for your informative opinion sir.
It seem doesn’t fit here. But per the link that i found above. (sorry it’s in Japanese)
The author also stated that his possession one dot shape no. (#39 and #51) doesn’t fit the catalogue shape as well. Furthermore both pipes featured step tenon like mine.
It’s paradox here.
As long as they didn’t come from Italy. It’s amazing how many One Dot Sasieni pipes show up there. It’s almost like the seller has an enslaved carver chained in the basement turning out Sasieni One Dots.
They’ve planted more One Dots than the Mafia has planted corpses in the Meadowlands.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
The early, patent pipes did not have stepped tenons. They were made for the stinger. I do, however, have a couple of later family era Sasieni pipes with stepped tenons, one is a Cambridge, one is a Warwick I got from Pipestud. Here is a Victoria (shape 71) I have. The shape number definitely does not match.
Sasieni Four Dot Walnut Victoria - Left.jpg

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
Well I don’t have a clue what you have their. The only advice is take what the others above have said and make a judgment call. If you really like it or is there to many red flags. If I were in your shoes I’d politely ask for a refund and consider this a cheap education.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I looked at the Sasieni One Dots on the yeoldewasabi blog site. They are an interesting puzzle. With the markings that they have they would appear to be pre 1923 since they use model numbers. But the model numbers don't jibe with the later Sasieni shape chart numbers. Here's the rub. Sasieni changed model numbers on some of their pipes. Neither the 1924, nor the 1935 catalogs have model numbers, just names. However, the 1941 George Yale Catalog does have a page of Sasieni pipes with model numbers and those numbers are consistent with later model numbers. So unless more info turns up, like a model list from the early 1920's, one can't conclude with certainty whether Wasabi got burned.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The ~ mid 1930's catalog does have shape numbers, you just have to look at the seconds listings. Only the top half :( of the page is at pipedia.
So I've got all of the model listings, and the Danzey/Grosvenor, the only pipe in the catalog whose shape matches the pipe in question, are shape 79 in 1935 and continue to be so in the late 1940's, after the fishtail logo is no more. So it appears that this pipe has the wrong model/shape number on it. I talked to a couple of Sasieni collectors earlier today, one of whom wrote an extensive article on Sasieni, and they have never seen a fishtail one dot with a sandblast.

Reactions: Noonnoon
Status
Not open for further replies.