PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buck17

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 14, 2018
My Dad found a classic claw n egg meer at a tag sale. An entire piece of stem is chipped off on the top part if the button. The pipe itself has threading in the meerchaum and in ink next to the hole is written 6. Not sure if this might reference sizing, possibly wishful thinking. Any recommendations for how to determine size, I assume just measure the width? Also, where to find a stem that is amber, slight bend with a male end to screw into the pipe? Thank you!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
This is a perennial chest nut question! You do not want an amber stem as they are fragile and hard on the teeth, trust me on this point. Take the pipe and send it to Rik at Briarville (www.briarville.com) and he will make you a nice new stem with a new threaded tenion and all will be right in your universe.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
The 6(mm) is the diameter of the teflon tenon that slides into the mortise bushing. You can ignore it. The mortise bushing screws into the "threads" in the meerschaum shank. I'm pretty sure one of the replacement stems depicted here will fit your pipe. You just have to decide which stem shoulder diameter will be best for your shank's diameter.

Status
Not open for further replies.