HELP: OLD FRENCH "RJB" BENT - WHO MADE THIS?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
23 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes
2 Fresh Former Pipes
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Gents, I have this pipe with some light stamping. Left side of shank (pretty strong), "R.J.B.". Right side, (maybe) "Arianna" in fancy script, (definitely) "Haut Luxe", or High Luxury in French. "Sterling" (in English) on the band. It looks like a pretty old Frenchie to me. Any info appreciated:

IMG_8137.jpegIMG_8138.jpegIMG_8140.jpegIMG_8141.jpeg

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Wow, what a groovy design!!

Definitely has that swan neck thing happening but with an apple bowl instead of a chimney or billiard. How cool is that?!

Don’t think I’ve ever seen a French design like that but I’m sure curious to see the comments. Especially regarding dates.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I wonder if the band is a repair.. or maybe replacement? Is the shank cracked?

Whatever it is that shape is crazy man.

Reactions: Humblepipe

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
Not sure looks like R.B.J to me. The only thing I found was a reference to American estate Sir Watson. No idea beyond google.

Reactions: Humblepipe

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
I wonder if the band is a repair.. or maybe replacement? Is the shank cracked?

Whatever it is that shape is crazy man.

Shank has no crack, but looking more closely interior mortise has remnants of threading... replacement stem likely. The original would have been threaded. Smoking it now for the first time. Thankfully the replacement stem is an older quality vulcanite one. Likely custom made for the pipe long ago. Fit is very good.

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
It has to be French or made in a French speaking country I would think. I tried very web search I could think of...
Is it RBJ or RJB? Smoking pipes has one listed RBJ which is what I believe yours says. It lists it as American estate? I don’t know anything past that. Really beautiful shape to that pipe. !!!914E8FFB-335B-4D4A-9721-252F932F280B.png

Last edited:

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Is it RBJ or RJB? Smoking pipes has one listed RBJ which is what I believe yours says. It lists it as American estate? I don’t know anything past that. Really beautiful shape to that pipe. !!!View attachment 62273

Yes.. "RBJ" sorry about that. A brain fart. Weird if it is an American estate. "Haut Luxe"? Interestingly enough, Smokingpipes had this one listed underneath the RBJ you found. The shape in the ball park... early 1900s French. I am shooting in the dark now, hunh?

004-003-2330.jpg

Reactions: ChuckMijo