Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ctbill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2019
CT & VT
Great list here! Thanks for the suggestions. Reading a bunch of tobacco reviews is usually helpful when searching for a new blend, but I have found “frame of reference” suggestions to be the best for me. I threw out two VaPers as a frame of reference and asked for a “tweak”, and y’all stepped up! Good stuff - thanks! ?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
There are some great recommendations above, though not all are strictly VaPers. There are a few truly excellent VaPers that haven't been mentioned that are well worth trying.

GL Pease Haddo's Delight is classed as a VaPer, though I'd say it's sort of a VaPer variant, and it's one of my favorite blends to smoke. It's not a bland blend, so it has its lovers and haters. The haters are bologna on white bread, missionary position only while wearing a hair shirt types. The lovers are gourmands and the rest, well, the rest you will have to imagine.

Also made by C&D for Pease are Stratford, Sixpence, and Telegraph Hill. Both Sixpence and Telegraph Hill are good VaPers. I like the way that they age. I haven't tried Stratford.

If you get the chance to sample any HU VaPers, like Director's Cut, Old Fredders, or Janneman flake you'll get a whole different take on the genre. Unfortunately, it looks like the door may have forever closed on importing these blends.

Next time you buy Dunbar, get yourself some Dorchester as well.

I didn't notice if Rattray's Marlin Flake was listed, but that's a superb blend, especially with a few years on it.

Last but not least, keep your eyes open for any RO Perique Series blends. The limited release series consisted of four blends, each designed to showcase a perique from a specific growing region. GP-11 is my hands down favorite VaPer and sold out a couple of years ago. The other three blends were all top notch, as would be expected given that they were produced by Russ Ouelette and Mark Ryan.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Some great recommendations here already. I’ll just add McConnell’s Scottish Cake. Not a Perique bomb by any stretch, but an overall deliciously and harmoniously blended VaBurPer.

The other four of my favorite VaPer blends are:

Escudo
Fillmore
Solani 633
and the sadly no more McClelland Beacon Extra

But I probably smoke more LNF than anything else. It’s just damn good.
for

For hybrid blends with Perique, GL Pease seems to be the master: Haddo’s Delight, Cairo, Cumberland.

Reactions: lightxmyfire
Status
Not open for further replies.