PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Gents and Ladies! I have but one Peterson out of 30 or so pipes. It’s a recent Donegal Rocky Apple (straight). I have a birthday coming up and I was thinking of something Peterson. I want to know what is the quintessential must have (under say $200) Pete? Is it an estate from a certain period? Is it bent! System! A P-lip must? I am guessing Nickel or Silver Band is a for sure. I am partial to the B10 or XL26. The Hansom is up my alley too, but not sure it’s in my pice range.

Chime away with your opinions and photos

Thanks, Jason

Reactions: Bengel

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
That's a pretty wide open question without knowing your tastes. Of course you'll get more bang for your buck with estates. But, if you're looking for iconic Pete shapes, then buying a shape out of the Sherlock Holmes line or an XL02, for example makes sense. They have some nice spigot lines, though, unless you go for a rusticated one, you'll need estate to stay under $200. Again, if you want iconic, then a p-lip would be part of the package. Give me a better idea of your interests and perhaps I'll have better answers.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks Irishearl. I think I’m more a B10, xl 11, 80s, Hanson, or xl315 type. Looking for a bigger pipe that has some meat on it. I’m not a clencher, so I like something good. In the hand to look at. I love the flash of thee spigots and really drawn to the Royal Irish. But are yellow stems a bit more modern flare and less traditional? Also no such thing as a yellow stem p-lip right?

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
I think Peterson 305 is the iconic Peterson shape. Other shapes can be had from other makers, but I haven’t seen anyone else make the 305.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I want to know what is the quintessential must have (under say $200)
$108 at SPC.

002-029-45349.3768.jpg

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I have 5 or 6 petes. This one is pricey (they run about $200). But it blows every other Pete I have (and a lot of other pipes) out of the water. Its one of 1000 pipes made for their Pipe of the Year in 2005. An amazing smoker, and the silver scroll work is incredible.

Jun 9, 2018
England
That's a pretty wide open question without knowing your tastes. Of course you'll get more bang for your buck with estates. But, if you're looking for iconic Pete shapes, then buying a shape out of the Sherlock Holmes line or an XL02, for example makes sense. They have some nice spigot lines, though, unless you go for a rusticated one, you'll need estate to stay under $200. Again, if you want iconic, then a p-lip would be part of the package. Give me a better idea of your interests and perhaps I'll have better answers.

I have a Peterson Newgrange Spigot Silver XL02 and it is indeed a lovely pipe, it sits in the hand perfectly and has a fairly deep bowl.

Chris.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I vote for the Deluxe 8s with a P-lip for the Peteist pipe. Although the Hansom is one of my favourite shapes as well (but I don’t own one).

Thanks Irishearl. I think I’m more a B10, xl 11, 80s, Hanson, or xl315 type. Looking for a bigger pipe that has some meat on it. I’m not a clencher, so I like something good. In the hand to look at. I love the flash of thee spigots and really drawn to the Royal Irish. But are yellow stems a bit more modern flare and less traditional? Also no such thing as a yellow stem p-lip right?

I have a Yellow stem P-lip Spigot from Peterson. The yellow is genuine Amber and is capped with Sterling, mounts into Sterling. It was quite a bit higher than your price range though. Amber is super fragile and Peterson knows it so they send it out into the world with a standard black P-lip stem too

Personally, Style is up to you but a Peterson benchmark standard pipe IMHO should have :

A P-Lip stem
Be either a System or System deluxe
Have a big old Nickel silver or Sterling silver band
Bent

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think I have maybe eight Petes, and the thing is, you can't go wrong. They do make some less characteristically spare pipes, the small Belgique and some of the tankards. But for the most part, and what makes them so popular is, they all have that sturdy somewhat bulky look that defines the brand. I don't like the P-Lip as well as the Fishtail, but I suppose the P-Lip bit is another trait. I have only one P-Lip, good but not best for me. Otherwise, I'd say, any Pete you choose will be plenty Petey, and over-thinking it won't help.

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not a Peterson purist, as you may detect. I've had no quality problems with lower and mid-market Petes. All mine are fishtail except the one. I don't have any "system" pipes. I suspect my problem free purchases are from responsible online retailers who had the clout to get good pipes, places like SP, PC, and Iwan Ries, that may also have a quality control screening of their own. Otherwise I don't know how I would have come through the time when Petes had regular q.c. complaints.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob
Status
Not open for further replies.