PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pipingntrucking

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 9, 2022
Zebulon-JoCo NC
I keep seeing a lot of push for "rusitcated" pipes. What am I missing? Not only do I personally not find them attractive but I see them as lazy-ish. Don't get me wrong. I understand there is a degree of skill knocking back material to show the texture and everything so I am not trying to take that away from the crafters who create them. And why "rusticated" . Always brings to mind the term "patina" when it comes to automobiles.
I just can't wrap my head around pricing being the same as a well stain, smoothed and polished pipe. Especially those of the flame grain types that are stained in such a way where the softer wood near is light reflective where that the light catches it there is a bit of a glow.
Now granted, neither of these high end pipes I would buy. The cheap person that I am cant bring myself to buy artworks then put a fire to it (figuratively), and since I am a person who tends to keep only things with practical purpose I wouldn't buy them to showcase.

Reactions: Buzz Saw
Jun 23, 2019
I keep seeing a lot of push for "rusitcated" pipes. What am I missing? Not only do I personally not find them attractive but I see them as lazy-ish. Don't get me wrong. I understand there is a degree of skill knocking back material to show the texture and everything so I am not trying to take that away from the crafters who create them. And why "rusticated" . Always brings to mind the term "patina" when it comes to automobiles.
I just can't wrap my head around pricing being the same as a well stain, smoothed and polished pipe. Especially those of the flame grain types that are stained in such a way where the softer wood near is light reflective where that the light catches it there is a bit of a glow.
Now granted, neither of these high end pipes I would buy. The cheap person that I am cant bring myself to buy artworks then put a fire to it (figuratively), and since I am a person who tends to keep only things with practical purpose I wouldn't buy them to showcase.

Not sure what push you're referring to but rusticated pipes (like a darker stain) were originally to hide imperfections in the briar. Nowadays, carvers have taken it to a whole 'nother level.

As for what you're missing: different people like different things, just because you don't like something doesn't mean someone else can't find it appealing.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
It’s just another finish type, imo. Doesn’t even have to be a flaw in the briar. The briar could still be pit flawless but just have no redeeming grain qualities to stay smooth.

Reactions: jiminy

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
As individuals, we all see and feel and perceive things differently. While I have several very beautiful smooth finished pipes in my collection, by and large I tend to gravitate toward the rusticated finishes. I love the way they look, and especially, how they feel in my hand. And while I'm not a professional pipe maker, I'm certain that a great deal of skill is involved in the crafting of a well made rusticated pipe. Now, if a rusticated pipe does not appeal to you, then likely you are missing out on nothing.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The only rusticated pipe in my collection is the first pipe I ever bought which was a Savinelli Linea Pui 5. I had no idea what a sand blast was back then. I bought the pipe based on my buddy who sold it to me. He owns a cigar shop and lounge and he had some nice pipes.

As it turned out it was a great first pipe, I couldn't have asked for better. It smoked cool and dry and it gave me a baseline of how a good pipe should smoke like. I still bought a few lemons but I knew they sucked so I dumped them.

I learned very quickly the difference between rusticated and sand blasted. Back then around 1999 I was on the hunt for great grain, I had a couple of sources selling gorgeous straight grains for less than the wholesale price.

I then went though my final state of finding a great sandblast more fun to look at than straight grains in general. There will always be Angel air straight grains that really catch my eye. I can never pull the trigger because I know they don't smoke any better than my blasted pipes. Sure I would love to own an S Bang with a 6000.00 price tag but I would never take that kind of money from my kids who need help finding affordable housing. I could easily afford it but the guilt would be all over me. I would rather give one of my kids a down stroke on a house
than spend that kind of money on a pipe. I would feel completely selfish and those feelings stay for a long time.

Piping Rooster

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2022
Champa Bay
To each their own! I'm not a fan of rusticated pipes most of the time but some artists can make some fantastic designs such as Talbert Pipes.

Jun 23, 2019
T
To each their own! I'm not a fan of rusticated pipes most of the time but some artists can make some fantastic designs such as Talbert Pipes.

Trever does some incredible work. His annual Halloween pipes are always outrageous!

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
My preferences in pipes goes sandblasted, rusticated, and then smooth. That's in sequence from preferred to less preferred.
I've never known any carver to price smooth pipes the same as he does rusticated and sandblast.

Reactions: Nevaditude

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
There are broadly speaking four types of finishes on a briar pipe.

1 I prefer smooth

Some of my smooth pipes, have a little hand carving. This carving can cover all the pipe and shank if desired, and be a

2 Hand carved pipe

3 Rusticated pipes

are hand carved but by making a rough surface that approaches the look of

4 Sand blasted.

There can be smooth pipes with lots of hand carving and rusticated and sand blasted features.

It’s all a matter of personal taste.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The bad stereotype of rustication is that it is first of all cheap, and second, just a way to cover up badly flawed and probably inexpensive briar. I'd say that is perhaps twenty-five percent of the story, not true about most rusticated pipes. Lesser, more imperfect briar may get routed to the factory line that is doing rusticated pipes, but those lines probably end up using some briar that would do fine as smooth or blast finishes -- i would propose, knowing the time constraints of most factory operations.

Having said that, I'd note that rustication runs the gambit from fairly primitive carving and texturing to some able crafted dappled surfaces that are as handsome as most sandblast, to some high artistry in rustication that is elevated to skill and artistry of its own. To talk about rustication as one thing means you're not looking a the pipes very well.

Many high end brands and artisan pipes use rustication, and some of it is masterful. And there are cheap and miserable examples of smooth and sandblast finishes. So look carefully, and fully see what you are looking at. You don't have to like rustication, and you sure don't have to buy it. But think about what you are seeing.

In engineering terms, the rusticated and sandblasted pipes should cool faster, as they have more than twice the surface area of a smooth pipe. The little folds and creases in the surface makes the surface area larger... think about a crump[led piece of paper... it looks small, until you smooth it out, and it becomes larger.

That said, I just prefer blasts to smooths. I have some smooths, but I am just not swooned by a grain of the wood, like IO am the patterns of a blast.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
In engineering terms, the rusticated and sandblasted pipes should cool faster, as they have more than twice the surface area of a smooth pipe. The little folds and creases in the surface makes the surface area larger... think about a crump[led piece of paper... it looks small, until you smooth it out, and it becomes larger.

Do you think this applies in reality? Or just in theory?

Reactions: Nevaditude
Status
Not open for further replies.