PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bronxbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 23, 2010
New York
Brothers!
So I had my first bowl of Escudo Navy Deluxe and when I was done I was...well, nauseous....
Could it be because:
I am not that use to perique?

I smoked it too fast?

I smoked it on an empty stomach?

All of the above?
I rubbed it out and enjoyed the taste and aroma but when I was done I could barely walk and my brain was toasted! Been smoking since 78/79 and THAT never happened before.....any ideas or recommendation for this enjoying this blend?

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Portascat wasn't kidding when he said it was a man's smoke. It's got a bit of punch. Have some coffee with it and a piece of chocolate after. The tastes are complimentary and it'll take the edge off a bit. Black tea goes great with it too.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Bronx the answer to your question is .... maybe.

Escudo Navy Deluxe is a very fine tobacco IMHO.

Perique is a spice tobacco; I actually enjoy adding a pinch to a bowl every now and again.
My guess would be the empty stomach to narrow the "maybe" a bit.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Weird. I love me some Escudo and have never felt even the slightest Vitamin-N. And I'm a lightweight in that department. Chalk it up to body chemistry I guess.
-Jason

bronxbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 23, 2010
New York
Bringing it the shore today for a nice memorial day weekend outdoor smoke. Will save it for dessert! Thanks for all the help. :D

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
I second the empty stomach being a main culprit. Per an STG rep, Escudo maintains (and has always had) a 16% Perique content, as well as African Virginias, which accounts for the hearty nicotine dose; of course a lot of how this affects you depends on your particular body chemistry at the moment you're smoking. As much as I love this stuff, it's not a true "all-day" smoke for me--if I make it through an ounce in a day I've had a wee bit too much.

bronxbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 23, 2010
New York
Bravo! :clap:
Thanks to all for the GREAT advice...on Saturday, on a full stomach, I took out my little Dr. Grabow pipe and filled a SMALL bowlful. Broke 2 coins into very fine pieces and had the most wonderful smoke! Totally enjoyed the taste and flavors. No nic kickback whatsoever and I felt great!
WHAT WOULD I DO WITHOUT YOU!! :worship:

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
WHAT WOULD I DO WITHOUT YOU!! :worship:

Lie on a floor somewhere and vomit....
I'm glad it worked for you!
THanks to Romeo for the percentage of Perique in Escudo. Now I have a benchmark to gauge my blend "tweaking" on.
-Jason

leonardw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2011
I don't typically notice the nicotine in Escudo, but based on the amount of perique, the nic should be quite high.

Status
Not open for further replies.