PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
At antique store and I saw this. Buying it as I think I want to restore a pipe. The lettering on shank is near unreadable. I’ve seen the marque but can’t remember who makes it.

FEE0C317-537A-4302-942D-582EA4574BC2.jpeg

Reactions: Meerly John

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
Thought cleaning the shank some might develop some clarity to the lettering. This what I’ve got…

47A29E0F-5D3E-439B-9A9F-6EE7266763DF.jpeg

Maybe a s, then t e r at the end? Smokemaster? Maybe someone can make out more detail than my poor eyes can.

It cost me only $4 and it’s in solid enough shape with enough correctable faults to restore to its former glory (maybe). If it doesn’t work out, I’ll just toss it. I just hope I have enough fun restoring and smoking it.

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
Thought cleaning the shank some might develop some clarity to the lettering. This what I’ve got…

View attachment 125269

Maybe a s, then t e r at the end? Smokemaster? Maybe someone can make out more detail than my poor eyes can.

It cost me only $4 and it’s in solid enough shape with enough correctable faults to restore to its former glory (maybe). If it doesn’t work out, I’ll just toss it. I just hope I have enough fun restoring and smoking it.
Pull the stem and look at the weird draught they drilled. It’s their patented “system”.
Briarcraft produced these up until the 40’s and then Dr Grabow bought them and produced them in some form up until the 90’s.
I’d probably sterilize, deoxidize and buff/polish the stem. And ream, sterilize the bowl. Polish the outer bowl, but I wouldn’t sand out flaws, nor redye it either. Maintain some of the character it’s developed over time.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
That's a Smokemaster, that one was produced in Sparta at the Grabow factory, it may or may not still have the innertube, the stem is drilled to accept a doubled over pipe cleaner as a filter. Nice acquisition.

Reactions: OzPiper and romaso

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
Well, well… Looks like the inner tube in the stem was cut off and one can note the two holes above it where both ends of a pipe cleaner would be inserted. I have no way of telling if this is a Briarcraft or a Grabow. Briarcraft had one of three names, Grabow marked theirs with numbers.

5B943715-C1AF-4762-9F1A-FE55D3A02348.jpeg

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
No doubt about it: Smokemaster. They have the three-hole system. A pipe cleaner was meant to go in there.