PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishmike

Lurker
Dec 31, 2014
I do not see markings on the pipe,stem or outside of the case. But on the inside of the case is a label the reads genuine meerschaum and amber with what I think are the initials MC. He passed away about 75 years ago.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Yeah, MLC was making pipes in line with the other well known pipe companies of the day. It's cased, with an amber stem, so it's probably an early 20th century pipe. I have a couple, and have had a few others, they are nice pipes. Is the pic on a hosting site? Post a link.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
irishmike, I see the picture in your profile but it's way too blurry to read the label in the case. Maybe take another shot of it and the pipe.

irishmike

Lurker
Dec 31, 2014
For some reason my phone does not focus properly on the label. The outer part of the label that states what it is made of can be read without a problem, but the initials are hard to make out even with a magnifying glass. I think its because of the pipe hitting it all these years.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
It's not an MLC. I recently sold a Sears Roebuck pipe that was monogrammed and looked similar. I don't know what the M.C. stands for. I guess that was a Turkish Meerschaum distributor of the time. I always like an initialed case. It's cool! The pipe appears to just need a little cleaning to be really nice.

Without handling it, I think it looks like a 1920s pipe. Maybe a little earlier.

irishmike

Lurker
Dec 31, 2014
Thanks xrundog. I figure based on his age the pipe was from the late teens early 20's.I am torn on cleaning her, this is exactly how he left it when he passed away over 70 years ago. What do you guys think?

Status
Not open for further replies.