PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

DangerStranger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 10, 2020
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

I was given this interesting 8 panel pipe. It has Bench Made engraved on the port and what looks like Topeka, KS on the starboard. On the top of the shank is a freehand maker’s mark that I can’t decipher.

Any C65501A3-E2E2-4AC4-BAF8-FA710F3A8E4F.jpeg264DA870-2062-4FD6-A78D-67A2BECFD0BA.jpeg03E2A6EC-A8FB-475D-8BD8-979FB08B5E5D.jpeghelp is much appreciated!image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Wathen pipes look somewhat like this one in style, or maybe he had an understudy who learned some pipe carving from him.

DangerStranger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 10, 2020
For any other amateur sleuths out there, how exactly were you able to determine that?
ou could contact Churchill’s in Topeka and ask them.
I was fortunate in speaking with a fellow on another site who is friends with Gary at Churchills. Gary confirmed the maker and I was forwarded the above image. Pretty cool stuff and it turns out that artvandelay007 had the correct suggestion all along.

Reactions: artvandelay007

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I had a guy who inherited a bunch of pipes come over to my office a little over a year ago. He had some great Stanwells and a bunch of that carvers pipes. After about an hour of Google and a few articles we nailed the carver. The pipes were shaped very nicely, but the stems were just generic stems that had been purchased and fit to the pipes.

Definitely a Caldwell pipe.

Reactions: DangerStranger

DangerStranger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 10, 2020
I had a guy who inherited a bunch of pipes come over to my office a little over a year ago. He had some great Stanwells and a bunch of that carvers pipes. After about an hour of Google and a few articles we nailed the carver. The pipes were shaped very nicely, but the stems were just generic stems that had been purchased and fit to the pipes.

Definitely a Caldwell pipe.
Very cool. I was given 2 of his pipes. Both of mine have tortoiseshell stems which make for a nice appearance. But, I agree. They seem to be generics similar to those available from VF or the like. Both of mine are great smokers and I like the shape.

Reactions: artvandelay007
Status
Not open for further replies.