PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Brachra

Lurker
Sep 15, 2021
New Mexico USA
So I'm going nuts on a try everything kick. And turns out I am an uncultured swine and enjoy everything So far I've tried quite a few random things with a little bit of every kind of tobacco thrown into it and like most things in life i just think its all awesome. I've always had odd tastes, I like to eat Oreos with mayo, or eat fermented fish with ketchup, jalapenos and pickles on toast OR PBJ & Pickles.....but lets not get into how horrible of a person I am.

Help me fill a cellar!
I'm gonna stop buying Miniatures because I already have way too many to paint so I figured hey why not collect tobacco. It's better than stamps (no offense to any stamp collectors I just couldn't keep up) and this way I can actually enjoy some things.

Any blend/brand is fine. For this purchase I would like to keep it to tins. Preferably 1.5-2Oz tins (no big 8ozers please)
And preferably no bulk buys to be jarred (But some is okay if you have to include it) I have jars (thanks you all of you here letting me know that was even a thing)

Total $1000 to spend +/- some is okay and no accounting for tax.

Prefer to stick to P&C but have recently started using TP

Help recommend things! I'm probably going to get 2 of everything that's recommended so I can try one and put the other away to try later. If you wanna build a whole list that's cool too.

Thank you all!

If this is not an appropriate topic I Apologize and please delete it.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
If I liked everything with no favorites and just wanted to pack my cellar, I’d be buying bulk all day, every day.
This. If you want to quickly fill a cellar, this is the way to go. Buy five pounds of each of these and you'll be well on your way.

Latakia-Balkan Supreme
Virginia-Newminster Superior Navy Flake
VaBur-Newmister Superior Round Slices
VaPer-Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake
VaOr-Oriental Silk
Burley-Pegasus

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I think 2 oz is the way to go if you are wanting to cellar long term, that way when you open a tin 10 years down the road you only have to open 50 grams at a time.

I would recommend St. Bruno, Erinmore Flake, Escudo & 3P’s.

I’ll leave it that, you are going to get a lot of responses.

Good luck on your cellar!

Brachra

Lurker
Sep 15, 2021
New Mexico USA
What’s the purpose of sticking to 2oz tins?

If I liked everything with no favorites and just wanted to pack my cellar, I’d be buying bulk all day, every day.
Because i can buy/choose bulks myself and i already have a bunch of the things i like in bulk stored away.. I want recommendations from the people here and I want them in 1.5-2oz size so i can open them at different intervals. The ones opened soonest. if i really really enjoy them i can look to see if they come in bulk and ill buy it then.

Liking everything doesn't mean i want a 2LB stash of something automatically.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I think 2 oz is the way to go if you are wanting to cellar long term, that way when you open a tin 10 years down the road you only have to open 50 grams at a time.

I would recommend St. Bruno, Erinmore Flake, Escudo & 3P’s.

I’ll leave it that, you are going to get a lot of responses.

Good luck on your cellar!
Unless you open an 8 oz tin and jar into smaller intervals.... But jars are a pain in the ass.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

That Guy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 8, 2021
Central Florida
Buy 1000lbs of prince Albert. You only need one blend or your not a real pipe smoker

Said no one ever

One of the most exciting things for me with pipe smoking has been getting my hands on as many different types of blends as possible and seeing what I like and comparing how they match up to each other. Like many others have said though you might want to buy small quantities first to sample. Maybe even make a pipe smoking journal. Don't be too quick to jump head first into laying down big money on blends that haven't been tested and proved worth stocking up on. I myself have almost 40 blends open right now but honestly have only five or 6 that I continue to buy over and over and over. Hopes this helps.

Brachra

Lurker
Sep 15, 2021
New Mexico USA
Buy 1000lbs of prince Albert. You only need one blend or your not a real pipe smoker

Said no one ever

One of the most exciting things for me with pipe smoking has been getting my hands on as many different types of blends as possible and seeing what I like and comparing how they match up to each other. Like many others have said though you might want to buy small quantities first to sample. Maybe even make a pipe smoking journal. Don't be too quick to jump head first into laying down big money on blends that haven't been tested and proved worth stocking up on. I myself have almost 40 blends open right now but honestly have only five or 6 that I continue to buy over and over and over. Hopes this helps.
It does help yes. I dont really think 2 of each kind is going too crazy its not like im gonna pick 2-3 and buy $1000 worth. I just wanted help building a list. But it seems this has just turned into people pointing out their opinions on what should/shouldnt be stored. An argument between tins and bulk. And jars. I just wanted people to name tobacco they like lmao. Oh well. I mean hell the current list ive got running is about 20 different tins and 2 of each. I'll just take the few recommendations I did get and go from there

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
The purpose of your post came across unclear, at least to me. I thought you wanted to spend $1000 filling your cellar and enjoy all tobacco you’ve ever tried with no favorites. That’s why I asked why would you want to fill your cellar with only 2oz tins.

it did not sound like you were going to take your time with sampling suggestions tin at a time.

Brachra

Lurker
Sep 15, 2021
New Mexico USA
The purpose of your post came across unclear, at least to me. I thought you wanted to spend $1000 filling your cellar and enjoy all tobacco you’ve ever tried with no favorites. That’s why I asked why would you want to fill your cellar with only 2oz tins.

it did not sound like you were going to take your time with sampling suggestions tin at a time.

Help recommend things! I'm probably going to get 2 of everything that's recommended so I can try one and put the other away to try later. If you wanna build a whole list that's cool too.

I was trying to convey that so far I dont hate anything. So just recommend things.
Regardless of how many bought ill try one and cellar the rest. Anything that ends up on the list that I already like/buy will just get cellared.

Apologies I was unclear

Reactions: Servant King