PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

branzig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2014
So I am moderately new to the pipe world, but have been a cigar enthusiast for years and can respect a full flavor, diverse tobacco.
So far I have had Frog Morton's Cellar, which I found very tasty. Sam Gawith Virgina Full Flake which was really yummy too, but I think I smoked it a little wet...I expect after I let it dry out a bit it might be my fave so far...And I've had a aromatic house blend that was boring to say the least.
What I am looking for now is a recommendation on where to go next! I want to try a bit of everything as I am still getting my feet wet. So how about recommendations for a Balkan, Perique blend, Oriental blend, and maybe a stronger English as well as another Virgina...

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
For Va's,

Mac Baren Roll Cake

Mac Baren Navy Flake

McClelland Deep Hollow

McClelland 2013 Christmas Cheer (while it's still available)
For Burleys and Codger Blends,

Carter Hall

Sugar Barrel

Scotty's Butternut Burley

Boswell Premium Burley
For full English/Balkans,

H&H Black House

H&H 10 To Midnight

McClelland Grade 1 Balkan

McClelland Blue Mountain

Boswell Northwoods
For Hybrids,

McClelland Frog Morton

McC Frog Morton Across The Pond

McC Frog Morton On The Town

McC Frog Morton Cellar

H&H Mazatec
For Lat/Perique blends,

Dunhill Nightcap

McClelland Frog Morton On The Bayou
For Aromatics,

Lane 1Q

Sutliff Molto Dolce
Welcome to the forum, hope this helps!

Dan

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
It might be fun for you to go to the Sutliff web site and take their test to see what blends of theirs you'd like. Their stuff is pretty good and the pricing is good as well.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
At this point, I'd just go to PipesandCigars.com's website and sign up for their sampler program. See what blends you like from that and then go with the suggestions around here, once you got a better grasp of some of your likes. http://www.pipesandcigars.com/samplers/club/ It's a really good value for your money, even after throwing the cob away it comes with (cheap Chinese crap).

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Welcome.

Let me sing the praises of lat blends that aren't lat bombs, but have a bit more than the Frogs. Blends such as Peterson Old Dublin and Sam Gawith Squadron Leader are worth your attention as well. Dunhill Standard and London also fit in here.

Let me also add my standard advice for new pipers: Smoke the best tobaccos, in the best pipes, you can afford. It will enhance your smoking experience.

Enjoy the journey. :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Eric's idea about the sampler program at Pipes and Cigars is good, or if you don't want to subscribe, you can do

a one-time order (or order several times at your own pace) with 4noggins, which has samplers for about $20.

I like the 4noggins because you can order samplers (only) at will, and they give you small portions so you aren't

left with much tobacco you don't like. Either approach works. I think samplers are the way to go, at this point.

Then you can follow your own instincts, once you get your footing.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
"So how about recommendations for a Balkan, Perique blend, Oriental blend, and maybe a stronger English as well as another Virgina..."
For Perique: There are many excellent VaPers, but I would recommend trying Escudo and Rattray's Marlin Flake. These two contrasting choices will give you the full range of flavors available in VaPer blends, from the spicy to the stewed plummy.

branzig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2014
Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I plan on looking into all of them and making my next selection carefully!
As for the "go online" option, I should of mentioned that I am in Washington, so I can't order tobacco.
In my state, mail ordering tobacco makes me a felon lol
It actually worries me because I fear as long as I live in this state I'll never truly be able to enjoy pipe'in...

branzig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2014
Any advice in picking out a house blend for a newbie?
Obviously I know that each shop is a littler different, but I am finding a lot of my local tobacco shops don't stock many tins...and once again I can't mail order.
I guess just ask the sales staff?

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Sorry about the laws in the state of Washington. If you haven't already, please get in touch with the Seattle Pipe Club. They're a bunch of great guys who have developed some first-rate tobaccos, and can likely help you with information as to how to be a pipe smoker in Washington. Overall, the good news is that there are literally thousands of truly fine tobaccos out there, and you are certain to find one or more that you will thoroughly enjoy. Best of luck, and welcome to the forum.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Good advice already, but really just stick to the well known brands and you should be fine. In other words, if you don't see Dunhill Nightcap at your tobacconist, any other Dunhill blends that look interesting to you should be fine.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Balkan- Balkan Sobranie (the new Germain offering is only slightly easier to fine than the original) Pease Odyssey, Pease Caravan, H&H Black House, Compton's Macedonian (expensive as imported sin)
Virginia- Rattray Old Gowrie,Rattray Marlin Flake, Astley's No. 109, Astleys No. 44
Oriental- McClellands Grand Oriental line(non Latakia), McClelland Virginia No. 24 (non Latakia), Rattray Red Rapparee, Lane LEO (one of my favorite blends....wait, don't bother trying this), McConnell Oriental, Smokers Haven Exotique
Medium English, Scottish and Whatever else is left- McClelland Samovar, McClelland Scottish Woods, Rattray Black Mallory, C&D Black Duck, Fairmorn Lancer's Slices.

branzig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2014
So based off what a lot of people have been saying, McCelland is the king of baccy it seems?

PlanxtyPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2013
Escudo - Va/Per

Blue Mountain - Balkan

Christmas Cheer - VA

Dunhill Nightcap - Strong Latakia/Perique

Frog Morton on the Bayou - Lighter Latakia/Perique

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I highly recommend you try Lanes LL-7. It's plain but elegant, like the guys who smooth

the wet concrete when a driveway is laid, quietly artful.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Well I can't imagine how hard it is to live in a place where you can't order tobacco online... Sorry bout that.
But if you're ever planning a visit to family or friends that are out of state I recommend you place a huge order and have it waiting for you at their house! :)
My current fav tobacco is Luxury Navy Flake by Peter Stokkebye. It's a Va/Per
Here's a review for it.
And another review.

rondyr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2012
Bel Air, MD
Frog Morton's Cellar is a fantastic blend! Good choice on that, Brandzig, and welcome to the community!
I would recommend that you try Frog Morton On The Bayou (my personal favorite), Dunhill Nightcap, and www.pipesandcigars.com 's Black House. I think that you will love them.

Status
Not open for further replies.