PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I'd pick the second SRV because I've got a thing for smooth apple meers. As far as the Altinays, that's a much tougher pick. I like the carving of #1 the most but enjoy watching meers color from a pure white beginning. Out of the other two, I guess I'd pick the last one but really a toss-up.

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
I personally keep going back to this one. The very fine intricate carving coupled with the difference in depth make me think this may color very very nicely. Plus the stem really pops and would contrast well. The texture also sways me to think it would feel good in the hand.

It is difficult since much is subjective so I tried to give objective reasons for picking that one.
9266899A-1947-4914-B36E-5BBDF5116E74.png

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I recently bought an IMP. Quality pipe in every aspect, I'm enjoying it. Fairly certain I'm going to buy an Altinay and a SRV, one of each. Been asking questions and print over the Altinay and Meerschsum Markey websites.

What do you think among the following? The 2 SRV are same relative specs, size and price range. Same for the Altinay. Course your favorite for each brand and share any thoughts you may choose to for your picks.

SRV

View attachment 60861

View attachment 60862

Here are the three Altinay candidates.

View attachment 60863

View attachment 60864

View attachment 60865
SRV Bulldog. Sleek.
Altinay Dublin. Like the shape with its patterning better than the billiards.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I have maybe 5-6 meers. My Tekin smooth Bent Dublin is my favorite smoker of the bunch.

I personally like the smooths because the color changes are more apparent.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Top SRV. I like the shaping more. Middle Altinay. I like the carving best. You have great taste in pipes, though, so I'm sure you will choose the right ones for you.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Hoosier, One has to start somewhere, but were I to start collecting meers, I would attempt to mirror condorlover's collection (but no one would match his new acquisitions on top of his holdings) of vintage to vintage vintage collection of meers, which, for the breadth of human history and personality witnessed by them, is peerless, not to mention as revivified by condor and repurposed as pipes.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I'd say I like the bulldog better then the tumor for the first two. (I assume that's the name of the second pipes shape, o.k. benign tumor is probably what that shape is called). And I like the last one two. I feel like the last three are all pretty but the last one has some extra class or something like that.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Chose the SRV Bulldog today. I really liked both pipes but the lines on that Bulldog are so clean, had to have it. Now I'll have an IMP, Altinay and SRV. I'll see how they compare. I have to admit I'm a bit fascinated by how the Meer colors. And they smoke nice.

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
Good
Order for the Altinay Billiard placed. Thanks everyone for your input. I like the basket weave finish, I'll probably get one in that finish when I see it in a shape I like a little better.

Still deciding on the SRV. Will likely get the bulldog but it's a tough call. I asked if I can get a discount if I buy both. LOL
So
Order for the Altinay Billiard placed. Thanks everyone for your input. I like the basket weave finish, I'll probably get one in that finish when I see it in a shape I like a little better.

Still deciding on the SRV. Will likely get the bulldog but it's a tough call. I asked if I can get a discount if I buy both. LOL
So many people don't do this. You never know if you don't ask!