PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
I recently mentioned celebrating the very recent birth of my first child. In that thread, txpiper07 suggested I buy tins from this year to cellar. That got me thinking... what if I bought 18 tins of the same tobacco, and opened one each year on my daughter's birthdays?
Now, I'm not much of a cellar junkie. Frankly I have no idea how I'll ever finish all the open jars of tobacco I already have. But this idea intrigues me, so I need your help:
If I were to do this, what tobacco blend should I cellar? I want it to all be the same. I smoke mostly English, but who knows how my tastes will change? I occasionally also enjoy chocolatey Burley and some Virginia, but don't seem to play well with Perique.
Recommend me a tobacco that:

- will change noticeably (and ideally improve) with age

- is available in tins (bulk would be more economical but feels less ceremonial)

- costs less than $10 per tin (P&C's end of summer sale could help)

- has a name or story that implies celebration, commemoration, birthdays, etc. (this one is optional)
Again, not totally committed yet to doing this (namely because I'll have to convince my wife that a $180 tobacco purchase is worth it) but I really like the concept and it's good fodder for discussion either way. Thanks all!

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I'd suggest tracking down at least one tin of Christmas Cheer 2017: yes it'll be both over your price point and a bit hard to track down, but it hits all your other requirements. It'll age beautifully (I've had 25 year old CC that was fantastic), it's named for a celebration, and it'll have her birth year on the tin label.

michaelmirza

Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
Warren, right now doing a Dunhill blend is my top choice, because their tins are $7.50/each on P&C and they're going out of production.
With that said, a few favorites lately are:
- SPC Mississippi River

- H&H Classic Burley Kake

- GL Pease Maltese Falcon

- GL Pease Lagonda

- GL Pease Abindgon

- GL Pease Kensington

- Lane Andullo

- Dunhill MM965

- LJ Peretti Tashkent

- LJ Peretti Cuban Mixture

- Peterson Old Dublin
I love Englishes that are really fragrant, such as Balkans. But also love Latakia blends that have some Cavendish, or even a subtle aromatic topping.
jguss, that's a pretty good idea! I'll set that as the gold standard.

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
I understand Pease blends age incredibly. I wouldn't know from actual experience though.
PM sent

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Michael, I like the idea, so I'll play. 9 tins each of MM965 and HH Pure Viginia, you can alternate, and compare how the English and Virginia blends age! :)
https://www.pipesandcigars.com/p/dunhill-my-mixture-965-pipe-tobacco/1439872/
https://www.pipesandcigars.com/p/mac-baren-hh-pure-virginia-pipe-tobacco/1497979/#p-193159

michaelmirza

Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
dmcmtk, funny you say that. MM965 and Escudo are my top choices at this point, which are pretty close to what you suggested!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
MM- You could also go the route of a different tobacco each year, but make a special label with the year acquired, your daughter's name and birthdate also printed thereon. And maybe a baby photo! Like your idea. (But what if you have five more kids??? :) )

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I was going to say Dunhill Flake and Escudo.
Also have you thought about buying a birth year pipe to smoke that tobacco in each year? Maybe even a natural finished pipe and see how it colors over the years.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I have a bit of experience with 15-25 yr old McClelland blends. You simply cannot go wrong IMHO. I would suggest any of the Brown Label tins as well as Blackwoods Flake and St James Woods. Beacon is great with a bunch of age. Seems you favor Latakia. In that case, Bombay Court and British Woods. The tins are great, they come in 100 and 50 gr. Sizes and the stuff is as good as it gets.

Mike S.
Almost forgot. Not Legend. Never buy this because I want it all.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I like this idea a lot and I might have to steal it from you. I also had a daughter born this year (Jan 14) and upon celebration I opened a 5 year old tin of Pelican(which turned out to be very underwhelming).
My suggestion for one to open on the 18th year would be either Sam Gawith’s St. James Flake or Cabbies Mixture. (In 18 years you’ll most likely be a die hard VaPer guy... worth a tin in the cellar in my opinion.)
Anyway, congratulations! Of course you’ll have a lot of sleepless nights and long days ahead of you but it will be the joy of your life, no words can describe it.
Cheers!

styler

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2014
Have you ever tried GLP Quiet Nights?
It is a very well balanced English imo and with a good bit of reg Virginia is should age really nicely. It is very much a favorite of mine. Don't be put off by the presence of perique, it's only a tiny pinch to add depth.
The irony with the name of course is that you won't be having quiet nights any time soon :)
Congrats by the way. It's a total rearrangement of your life, but a very worthwhile journey.

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
I did this with Christmas Cheer, as my son was born in late December. Not that useful to you I am sure as CC is no longer available. Wessex Campaign or similar would be pretty amazing in 18 years.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I have a feeling we’ll be seeing Christmas Cheer again since the FDA regulations have been pushed back to 2021 I believe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd do several so you aren't disappointed, and maybe from several genres. I would include some of the good McClellands Virginia's, since these are notable for evolving well in aging. Aromatics aren't the best bet, though some like them aged. Burley keeps well, but I'm not sure it evolves a lot. You have plenty of expertise on hand, so I won't go on.

Status
Not open for further replies.