PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
I realize someone could snipe this pipe if they wanted to (assuming it is a decent pipe), but I'll take the chance. I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to purchasing a Dunhill and that's what I aim to do. How does this one look? I like the Lumberman/Canadian shape personally, but I realize they are not all equal. Price? Suggestions? I appreciate the help I get here, I really do. Thanks in advance.

Dunhill Canadian Pipe ODA 945 Root Briar made in England | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/352866134754?ul_noapp=true

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
There's a hole right through the bit on the underside. Add repairs to the price and I'd pass. To me it's a rather ordinary looking pipe and if I didn't know it's pedigree it wouldn't interest me. No other interested bidders either.

I would agree. If you're patient, you'll find some reasonable deals on Dunhills at eBay. You would need to replace the stem on that one. Nothing special about that particular pipe that I see and it does appear to have been heavily smoked and not particularly well cared for.

Reactions: scloyd and upnorth1

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
There's a hole right through the bit on the underside. Add repairs to the price and I'd pass. To me it's a rather ordinary looking pipe and if I didn't know it's pedigree it wouldn't interest me. No other interested bidders either.

Thanks for responding upnorth. The seller says the underside of the stem is an indentation and not a hole. I suppose I don’t mind a plain looker. It has clean lines to my eyes. I do like tat it is a group 4 or 5. I’d like a Dunhill around 6”. I am unable to date this thing though.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
I would agree. If you're patient, you'll find some reasonable deals on Dunhills at eBay. You would need to replace the stem on that one. Nothing special about that particular pipe that I see and it does appear to have been heavily smoked and not particularly well cared for.

Yes, I can wait. Thanks for the input.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
that looks like an indention vs a hole, to my eye. Seller does not take returns.
It could be filled, but it remains to be seen how durable these type of repairs are.
I wouldn't risk more than $100 on it. (doubtful it will get bids at a $199 start).

s-l500.jpg

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I would pass on it.
Check out this sellers completed auctions. Looks like he sold this pipe before for $182 on 10/30/19. Why is it for sale again? Or maybe i'm wrong and he had two. :)

Dunhill Canadian Pipe ODA 945 Root Briar made in England
See original listing

Condition:
Used

“smoked; good condition; only slight bite marks on the stem; no cracks”

Ended:
Oct 30, 2019 , 10:39AM

Winning bid:
US $182.49
[ 2 bids ]

Shipping:
$10.00 Expedited Shipping

Item location:
Dayton, Ohio, United States

Seller:
jannestee (641 )
|
Seller's other items

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Looking back at the pictures of the completed auction, it's the same pipe. It's just cleaned up now.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
It’s definitely a replacement stem as well. That may not matter to some, but I don’t usually care for that myself.

Reactions: scloyd

Spinkle

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Consider MKELAW'S site and the other forum sponsors.

I've gotten a couple of very nice pipes on there.

This one is showing right now. 1977 Group 5 $225. There's a group 3 right next to it for $165
Second this - I bought a Dunhill Lovat Bruyere from him recently and it is a beautiful pipe. I almost don’t want to smoke it for fear of ruining it!

Reactions: Humblepipe
Status
Not open for further replies.