Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am starting a few threads, to date tobacco tins, which do not have a manufacturing date stamped - but is coded. This is the first in the series.
I recently purchased a couple of this. I need help in dating them to manufacturing date.

Also - as per the picture, is it manufactured in 1999 ???
old-ironside-600x302.jpg

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
I believe it is much younger. The give away is the area which is reserved for the "generals surgeons warning" which is about 50% of the lable. This is a relatively recent EU-law.

stvalentine

Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
It is quite difficult to see through the laws. There was a change in 2015 and another one in 2017. I have no special source but remember that I have read it anywhere. I would say that your tobacco is around 2014/2015 but I canß´t be sure.

mlb55

Lurker
Nov 15, 2016
I checked a tin of Old Ironsides that I bought in Feb, 2017. The code on it is 19538.7. I have no idea what that means.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I got some of this a couple of weeks ago and it has the same 199936 number that yours does. I did like you did and just dated it when I got it as I had no idea of it's actual production date. I have enough stuff open now, so it will get cellared for a while.

kanse

Jul 9, 2016
1999 does not seem to be the year of production, I am not even sure that tag represents the manufacturing date.
This photo makes things a bit more confusing.
WaveuIIl.jpg

Why not get in touch with folks at https://i.imgur.com/WaveuIIl.jpg ?

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Howdy cshubbra. Your tin is very recent production within the last year or two. The labeling for Old Ironsides, as well as the tin size itself has changed several times over the years. Up through 2004 or 2005, for example, the Old Ironsides tins not only were smaller in circumference, they bore the CAO Import logo on the front of the tins. So, those are two of the reasons your tin can't be 1999 (which, by the way, is a code and not a date).
It's good tobacco and if you like Latakia, you'll like Old Ironsides.

Dec 19, 2014
It could be that Dan Tobacco's short number codes are factory ID. Some of the longer coded tins by other companies have day, month, year, and machine codes or possibly days of the month? I forget exactly. But, they are for factory reference basically. I just bought 3 different variety from Dan Tobacco and my tins all have "20" as the first two numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.