PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiskeyHammer

Lurker
Dec 17, 2020
Hello! New pipe smoker here. I picked this pipe up at a thrift store and while smoking it, I idly did a search on the manufacturer stampings. Turns out it's a Barling, and after a couple of hours of digging through articles, forums, and images, I still can't tell how old it is.

I'd like to know how bad I should about smoking it. If it's a family era pipe I'd feel positively guilty and probably put it on a shelf while I cut my teeth on a less storied pipe. If it's a corporate era then... eh, I'll probably use it as my daily. It really is a joy to smoke.

It has three markings on the shank:
1) "Barling's" in script with "GUINEA GRAIN REGD" below that
2) "J.J. Fox & Co" where the last letter in Co is underlined with "LONDON" below that
3) At the bowl end of the shank "EXEXEL"

With luck, the Barling Boss himself, Mr. Silver, will see this and weigh in.

Pics below:
1_PipeOverall.jpg
2_Barlings.jpg
2_BarlingsGrain.jpg
3_JJFox.jpg
4_Size.jpg

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Yes, it's a Family Era pipe. Off the top of my head I don't remember when the Guinea started, but I can confidently say 1945 - 1962. It's a great find, and looks to be in very good "as is" condition.

Someone fix the thread title please. :)

Mr.Pink

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2020
Chicago IL
Smoke it! I have a post-Barling, one of my best daily drivers. You can't beat their smoking characteristics, and especially the stem work. That soft, stick of gum stem...I love the comfort.If i am walking the dog, running errands, that's the pipe I grab. I have artisan pipes I smoke the hell out of...Maybe I should put them on the shelf? how about this: you can smoke and tell the story! A beauty, Enjoy puffy

Reactions: ChuckMijo

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
The origin and history of the Guinea Grain, like the Fossil, is mysterious. I know the name was trademarked in September of 1922, but have yet to find it mentioned in trade journals (other than brand directories) or advertisements until early 1953. Presumably it was sold in the twenties, but if so I have yet to find solid proof. My current thinking is it was reintroduced in 1953 as part of their post-war recovery, but that’s pure speculation.

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
Fantastic find!! Enjoy and smoke the heck out of it. That’s a great pipe!

Status
Not open for further replies.