PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trendo

Lurker
Jul 28, 2016
Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone had some advice on wether or not this pipe is worth fixing. As you can see the stem needs to be straightened. There are no markings on the pipe besides info on the gold plating (14k 1/40 rg). I was thinking that someone could maybe identify this thing by the "stinger" which is metal. If it is a generic piece, I may just break out the heat gun and try to reshape it. If it can be identified as something decent, I wanted to send it out to someone who knows what they are doing.
Thanks in advance,
tsJZ1jNpHVrSuwMn7

BQh7zTAAduX42c5C6

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I agree with Ashdigger. The threaded stinger has been overturned through time or neglect and just needs to be carefully rotated back. Do NOT heat and bend the stem, it is fine.
Edit: Oh, nice pipe by the way. :)

trendo

Lurker
Jul 28, 2016
Thanks ash digger, I may try that. Even if I re-clock it it will be a bit twisted. But that will definitely get me close enough to make it a smoker!

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
@Dottie- The stinger is the means of threading the stem onto the stummel. It can't be removed completely.
@Trend- I'm not following you. If you re-clock the stem, how would it still be twisted? And by the way, are you sure it does not have any sort of Adjustomatic-style feature? If it did, it would save you a lot of hassle.

trendo

Lurker
Jul 28, 2016
Cant toss the stinger, its the only thing attaching the stem to the bowl.
Here is a picture of it re-clocked, it still has a funky bend in it.
reclocked_zpsqxz1eqbp.jpg

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
It almost looks like the stem is straight, but the slot is cut off-center. Am I seeing that right?

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Wow. I'd call it a "Lefty" and smoke away. Starting a thread about this phenomena as it looks intentional. Is that Amberlite? Love the pipe. :)

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Remove the stinger and toss it!
I second that. any pipe is worth fixing and put back into action.
I would cut the stinger, salt bath and retort and smoke it, if it is sound and smokes well then spend the money to have a pro restore it, in the end you might have a diamond.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think the stinger is also threaded to attach the stem to the shank; if that's so, you can't saw it off without redesigning the stem/shank attachment. I doubt that is a good plan. This looks similar to the Kaywoodie Drinkless design. There's no push bit arrangement to hold the stem in the shank otherwise. I'm not a great pipe mechanic, but that's what I'm seeing here. With push bit pipes with stingers, many just pull out, no muss nor fuss. Some stingers won't pull out, so you have to saw them off to get rid of them, but there's still a push bit to slide the stem into the shank. Not on the Drinkless, and maybe not on this pipe either.

Jan 10, 2014
Sorry, can't begin to guess the maker but the slot looks a lot like D. P. Ehrlich of Boston. However, to my knowledge Ehrlich's 14kt gold bands are rounded, not flat and then did not install a stinger but instead, a plastic screw installed in the shank. My guess is circa 1968-74.

Status
Not open for further replies.