Help! I broke down (and bought a Dunhill)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Alright Dunhill/English Pipe nerds. I swore I would never buy a Dunhill. Obviously the controversial pricing and differences in opinion regarding quality (and how much of what you are buying is just the name) had a lot to do with that, but I had an opportunity to scoop an estate one up for a price that seemed reasonable to me for what I was getting. The curiousity finally got to me and I couldn't help myself so I pulled the trigger. (From what I understand this is how most ignorant n00bs like me end up with one).
I'm sure there are a few members who will tell me I've purchased a mini flower pot (you know who you are *pirate emoji*) , so let's try not to turn this into dump on dunhill/dump on those who dare dump on dunhill thread.
Simply looking for information from our resident human pipedia geeks about what I've got here. It is a 1973 Dunhill Red Bark Apple. See pics below.
So my questions are, what have I got here? Does anyone have experience with this shape/era of Dunhill pipes and how they smoke? And what would your best guess be regarding it's value? All parts are (supposedly) original, however the bowl has been reamed a bit, and has a new coating in it, but looks ok (to me anyway).
Thanks all!
Pic 1
dunhill-1-600x201.jpg

Pic 2
dunhill-2-600x235.jpg

Pic 3 with nomenclature
dunhill-3-600x229.jpg

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I own two random Dunhills and I know literally squat about the brand, as a whole.
That said, both of mine came at reasonable estate prices and both smoke well.
Your "prince-like" shape is one I admire and it seems to be reasonably cared for.
The most important thing will be, after you smoke it a few times, how does it perform?
I'm glad I could answer none of your questions. :mrgreen:
Congrats and enjoy!
jay-roger.jpg

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Your "prince-like" shape is one I admire and it seems to be reasonably cared for.
The shape had MUCH to do with this purchase. The prince (especially larger bowled/longer ones) is one of my favorite shapes. This one has a fairly small bowl 1.14/.67 but is over 6 inches which is sort of my benchmark for minimum length. There's a joke in there somewhere.......
The most important thing will be, after you smoke it a few times, how does it perform?
This is honestly all I really care about. I buy pipes to smoke them. But, if I'm gonna have it, I might as well know what I have, eh?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'm sure there are a few members who will tell me I've purchased a mini flower pot
I only did that to the ones that wouldn't pass pipe cleaners. That's just unforgivable.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It's a nice shape. I think it's a Ruby Bark finish. You can find out the date of manufacture from the stampings. The numbers after ENGLAND give you the date.
Here's a good source for grokking Dunhill: http://pipephil.eu/logos/en/dunhill/cledat-en1.html

assaad

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2011
A very nice pipe, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I think the Red Bark predated the Ruby Bark.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
That is an early Red Bark, I think they started making them in the early 70's. The staining on the early ones is much nicer than the pipes made in the later 70's and 80's. I am sure she will smoke like a dream for you.
Don

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The first video of this playlist contains a fair amount of Redbark history and info:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFwwtvtKlXW9Cck1UslaCawEQg21bD8zS

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
Since the day I was first interested in smoking, I have always thought dunhill’s to be the best looking pipes
Congrats on this beaut

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
Nice pipe. Early 70s dunhills don't bring as much as 60s and 80s dunhills... unless it's the red bark (like the one you have). Group 2 is on the smaller side and may affect the value... Typically $50-$75 dollars less than a group 4. This would sell on the ebay for around 175-200. Retail store would probably ask 350-400 for it. Hope that helps.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Good looking Dunhill in what appears to be decent condition. I’d be happy to own it. Hope you got a good price!

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Nice pipe! It looks like it would be pretty versatile, for both shorter English smokes as well as flakes.
This one has a fairly small bowl 1.14/.67 but is over 6 inches which is sort of my benchmark for minimum length. There's a joke in there somewhere.......
Penis! There.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
A nice 30-45 minute smoker.
That's what I'm hoping for. With a 2 month old in the house, sometimes the 90 minute break you had scheduled becomes a 30 minute one before it even begins, hahaha.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Ha, ha. I know how you felt, sorta, with regard to owning a piece of Alfred's legacy. It all comes down to marketing and quality control.

The stem alone on that pipe should result in a favorable review.

My only Dunhill is shown in my avatar, and I wouldn't even smoke it for more than a year, thinking I'd made 'an investment'.

Once I realized I would never get off my ass and try to sell back for a profit, some of my estate acquisitions, I began to smoke my 1954 Shell and to appreciate its well constructed and comfortable essence. I still don't smoke mine as much as I do an old MM Pride 2nd, but, when I do, I always think of Alfred, and all the folks who have bought in to make the brand.

'You are not alone' can be comforting.

I think you'll enjoy yours. I also think that one might be 'enough' in that some of my more inexpensive Grabow's are just as fine to ME.

Just like tobaccos, learning about brands or makers is its own discipline.

Status
Not open for further replies.