Help: Estate Rim Clean Or Sand Or Stain.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I have recently purchased this cool Jeantet brush carved billiard. It was cleaned when I got it. I did a final salt alcohol soak, ran hot water and alcohol through and it satisfactorily cleansed. I will do coffee grounds to make sure it’s not haunted.

Now the question; looking at the images, the rim is sort of flattened out or worn of its carving. I am wondering if I

A) Try to sand it gently smooth and have a contrasting rim and bevel.

B) Just wipe it clean and stain it black? Will I then need to restain the rest of the stummel?

C) Just leave it alone? Although I’m not in love with how it looks currently.

I am relatively new at cleaning up, by no means have great handy skills, so any suggestions please keep in mind beginner skills.

lastly pipe was $12.00 so I’m not going to loose my mind if I experiment a bit.

thanks in advance.03952BF8-63A6-4E83-9ED1-EAC9179FBE88.jpegFCAB90CC-1F59-444C-8CD7-39927AF6B208.jpegB956D395-6ADF-4A40-992F-E84A16F27B79.jpeg

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
It’s not worn it’s filled in with tar and ash. Scrub it with a toothbrush and cold water. Use the bristles like a hatchet into the rim. Also a wet paper towel.
Afterward you will need fiebings black leather dye and halcyon 2 wax. Will look brand new.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
It’s not worn it’s filled in with tar and ash. Scrub it with a toothbrush and cold water. Use the bristles like a hatchet into the rim. Also a wet paper towel.
Afterward you will need fiebings black leather dye and halcyon 2 wax. Will look brand new.
. I have the tools and skills for that. A coat of new dye around the entire piece can’t hurt either right.

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
. I have the tools and skills for that. A coat of new dye around the entire piece can’t hurt either right.
I'd just do the top and down the sides a bit and blend it. once you get the stain on there flame it a bit with a lighter to set it. then let dry fully and wax in a day or so. I've had good success this way.

if you put it all over the pipe since the rest of the pipe is still black it may sit on the surface and come off on your hands.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I'd just do the top and down the sides a bit and blend it. once you get the stain on there flame it a bit with a lighter to set it. then let dry fully and wax in a day or so. I've had good success this way.

if you put it all over the pipe since the rest of the pipe is still black it may sit on the surface and come off on your hands.
Thanks BROBS. Here’s the finished pipe.
56C25FC3-3988-4A7F-BED0-95F1220EAAF9.jpeg315A9F70-FA94-47B6-BF91-579A14090669.jpegDC7EA67E-1BDE-44C4-AA95-8F1553ACCC19.jpegScrubbed, salt alcohol, coffee grounds, clean, stain, wax, brush, buff with microfiber.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Looks like you did a great job. Leather dye is wonderful stuff, if handled right.
Thanks Mike. Although, I think I may have purchased the wrong dye. It’s Feibings, but it is not alcohol based, it’s not flammable. I still used a lighter, gently waiving it around, to dry it, but it didn’t ignite. It doesn’t seem to be an issue as it’s not coming off.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Thanks Mike. Although, I think I may have purchased the wrong dye. It’s Feibings, but it is not alcohol based, it’s not flammable. I still used a lighter, gently waiving it around, to dry it, but it didn’t ignite. It doesn’t seem to be an issue as it’s not coming off.
you don’t want it to ignite!!!
I use water based fiebings. What they dub “institutional”.

Reactions: ofafeather
Status
Not open for further replies.