chispa

Can't Leave
Sep 18, 2011
The Pics

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Is there a number or numbers after ENGLAND? Are the numbers the same size as the word ENGLAND or smaller? Are they underlined? Can't tell in the photo.

chispa

Can't Leave
Sep 18, 2011
OK I need some help from you guys that know about Dunhill.
Sorry for the picture quality but it is all I have.
Any idea how old this pipe is?
Any idea as to the condition? I mean from the color does it look like the dark on red stain shows much wear due to the red color showing through.
What about that chamber? Looks kinda like the chamber is large and the bowl is a bit thinned. A sign of a lot of use?
The bamboo has a darker color and cracks that I assume is due to age.
Does the nomenclature give any clue to the age?

chispa

Can't Leave
Sep 18, 2011

Here's a zoom and attempted enhancement. I don't think there is any writing after "England"

chispa

Can't Leave
Sep 18, 2011
I think the bamboo is a bit clunky and too large for the proportions of the pipe overall but the brownish hue of the bamboo looks cool.
It is about 6-3/4 inches long.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/dunhill/shell-briar1.html

Check out the 2000 entry on this chart. 4103 means size group 4, but the rest

of the code doesn't jive, as the maker of this chart attests to. Can't help

much on the date without those numbers. Strange..... Maybe around 2000 with

some hard wear. Your pipe also has a saddle bit instead of tapered as the code says.

Seems to be something Dunhill did with these bamboo pipes for some reason.

chispa

Can't Leave
Sep 18, 2011
Does the light sandblast make anyone think this may be a 60's or 70's pipe? Does it fit in with a certain time period's look for the blast?

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I am not an expert on Dunhills but just an observation. In looking at the pics I almost feel the bamboo shank is a repair. Almost all Dunhill pipes I have seen stick pretty close to the traditional and I haven't seen any other Dunhill pipes with Bamboo shanks. Also, the fit between the bowl and the bamboo doesn't seem to me as clean of a fit as I would expect from Dunhill if it were made by them.
Just my opinion.
I also think that the thinning of the bowl is from heavy use and over reaming.
Happy hunting. I hope it is what you are hoping for.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Dunhill did make that very pipe style early in this century (2000). The markings are hard to see in the photo's.

I'd have someone look at it though as something doesn't look just right about it.

chispa

Can't Leave
Sep 18, 2011
Not mine. Seller is asking about $150 for it and I like the looks of it but what appears to be overreaming is kind of a deal killer. I don't want one with so many miles. I don't really know about pricing of these so I don't know if the price reflects the age/wear. Seems dunhills go for around $200.

dukdalf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2011
Dunhill coding is notoriously elusive (John C. Loring spent the best of twenty years putting it together), but #4103 describes bowl size, finish, mouthpiece. I'm not expert enough to date by blast, but there should be a date code somewhere, consisting of two digits. On most Dunhills, it is stamped on the shank. Your pipe has hardly any briar in the shank, the rest of the stamps have lost quite a bit of depth and sharpness, so it could be elsewhere or it could be barely legible, but it should be there. I know assumptions have a well-deserved reputation, but by the looks of it I'd say this pipe has seen more than a single decade of use. The mouthpiece looks remarkably fresh, by the way.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
The Dunhill Shell was introduced in 1912. Based on what I've read, if the "D" in England is smaller than the other letters it could be from 1978-1982.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Unfortunately I can not analyze the pipe, as I know little about Dunhill's, and can provide little in the way of dating advice, as I've been married for over ten years.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
The bamboo is a whangee shell, albeit an an over reamed one. Lovely pipe, you should have bought it. Eaglerico, and all who think this is a repair, study some Dunhill pipes before you offer opinions.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Here's one Dunhill Bamboo:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ULTRA-RARE-Dunhill-DR-Two-Star-Straight-Grain-BAMBOO-Shank-Pipe-Brand-New-/140702438189
Asking price is $2700 -- I'm sure some guy in China will snap it up quickly.
Huh?
Agree with 'jpberg' all the 'guessing' from the internet experts kept the gentleman from getting a very nics Dunhill at an excellent price.
education link
"Unlike the bamboo we see in contemporary artisanal bamboo pipes, Dunhill used bamboo with all manner of issues. It was often too chunky. Knuckles were oddly spaced, usually way too widely spaced for the pipe’s length. The beautiful rhythmic proportions to which we are accustomered in work by Hiroyuki Tokutumi or Smiou Satou are completely lacking in Dunhill’s bamboos."
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO PM ME THE LINK TO THE DUNHILL SALE LISTING.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Merriam-Webster Definitions
Opinion - a view, judgment, or appraisal formed in the mind about a particular matter

Fact - a piece of information presented as having objective reality
@jpberg - I posted the above because apparently you do not know the difference. I think you should read the dictionary. I would also tell you if you don't like what I have to say don't read it. I am not going to defend my original post because there was nothing wrong with it. Excuse me for not carrying around the history of Dunhill in my back pocket. My apologies for also not getting my certification in all things Dunhill as you apparently have...screw it FUCK OFF. I am tired of this BS where if anyone has anything to say that people in general don't agree with everyone gets their panties in a wad.
You know more about Dunhills. No denying that but don't ever tell me or anyone else not to post something just because you think its wrong.
@ everyeone else - You guys are great. Have a nice day. I am going to buy me a bottle of Crown Royal Maple and see what the bottom looks like.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Damn, son, untwist your panties and man up a bit. "I haven't seen any other Dunhill pipes with Bamboo shanks" - well, that just makes you look like a dumbass, they've been making them for 90 or so years.
You are not doing anyone any favors by offering an opinion when you really don't know what the hell you're talking about.
Your "opinion" was one of the factors that led Chispa to shy away from one terrific pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.