PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simplicity

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 20, 2020
Michigan
Hello - Just purchased the below Loewe pipe. I am trying to get a general time period on it, but can't seem to come up with one. It has L&Co on the left shank and Loewe London W on the right shank, which would indicate a middle-ish Haymarket era. The confusing part for me is there are no stampings on the bottom shank. I have two other Loewes, both have a shape name stamped on the bottom and were fairly easy to get a time period using this guide. Checking if anyone might have some thoughts on it.

image0 (1).jpegimage1 (1).jpegimage2 (1).jpeg

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Ok first up I’m no expert, and I’ve mainly relied on that pipedia link as well these forums for my own Loewes.

I’m currently trying to date a pastime, my conclusion is that it is Midd Haymarket era, but maybe Late 30s- early 50s because of not having the orific button - it seems like the models shown in the 1930 catalogue still had them. I’m not sure when these were phased out for current bit style. Do you feel the stem is the original?

In terms of dating by the tenon I have a 1910 which has a step in too, so I wouldn’t let that be the only logic for placing later in the Haymarket era.

Definitely no 3digit number on the shank aye?

It looks in good condition and should smoke very well.

Simplicity

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 20, 2020
Michigan
Ok first up I’m no expert, and I’ve mainly relied on that pipedia link as well these forums for my own Loewes.

I’m currently trying to date a pastime, my conclusion is that it is Midd Haymarket era, but maybe Late 30s- early 50s because of not having the orific button - it seems like the models shown in the 1930 catalogue still had them. I’m not sure when these were phased out for current bit style. Do you feel the stem is the original?

In terms of dating by the tenon I have a 1910 which has a step in too, so I wouldn’t let that be the only logic for placing later in the Haymarket era.

Definitely no 3digit number on the shank aye?

It looks in good condition and should smoke very well.

Awesome, thanks for the info. Yeah, no digits on this one, I've been sticking with early Civic or before.

Appreciate the help.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
If you thought stem was replacement, it could theoretically place the stummel as early as 20s, as in when the shape was not marked on shank.

Did you manage to find out what model it is from comparing with catalogue on pipedia?

Simplicity

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 20, 2020
Michigan
If you thought stem was replacement, it could theoretically place the stummel as early as 20s, as in when the shape was not marked on shank.

Did you manage to find out what model it is from comparing with catalogue on pipedia?

That’s interesting to know that they did not put the shape on the shank during that time period. I am pretty confident it is not a replacement stem. I have looked through the catalog briefly last night, will have to do so today to try and get the shape.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I’m just making an assumption about the shape name not being recorded in the shank in the 20s, as a carry over from before Civic acquired the company.

Yeah the stem looks pretty legit. I think I read somewhere that the button change happened in the early 20s, so maybe someone with a post-20s hallmarked Loewe could help set an earliest possible date using the button as a guide?

I have a 1910 cased Loewe, which I think is a Brazilian by comparing to the catalogue. I am currently cleaning up a pastime. I have a Haymarket on the way, either a Loewe second or US export, and a small Imperial Two Point (Civic) from the 40s-50s which is very Loewe in its shape and feel.

They are truly beautiful pipes to hold and smoke. Featherlight.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Going by the slot, button, tenon, and its fit to the shank I would say it's an original stem. I think you guys are definitely in the right ballpark as to the dating.

:)

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Going by the slot, button, tenon, and its fit to the shank I would say it's an original stem. I think you guys are definitely in the right ballpark as to the dating.

:)
I can’t take anything you say seriously after your stuff and fold karma sutra advice

Edit: oh wait that wasn’t you. Sorry I got confused with all the letters in your screen name. We have @jpmcwjr to blame

Status
Not open for further replies.