HELP: Charatan Make Distinction (I'm Confused)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

Just received this pipe, purchased on EBeast. This is my first Charatan. It seems to be missing the CP stamp I normally see on the stem. However, it does have a very faint marking on the stem (X - means can't make out the character):

XXX No
XXX3573 (give or take a character)

Authentic stem, yes? Any idea on dating this bad boy?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

lawdogspipes

Might Stick Around
May 19, 2010
Stem appears to be correct. The CP logo missing from the stem probably buffed off over the years. Estimate mid 60s to Mid 70s era. I think the Lane era was somewhere during this time...

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I would suggest 1962-65 but i am no expert. from

Al Pascià - Charatan Pipes - Online selling - Official pipe reta - https://www.alpascia.com/moments/en/detail/81/charatan-pipes

Third period: Lane prior to Ben Wade closure c.1962 – 1965
These years can be considered a kind of continuation of the previous decade, as Wade increasingly influenced Charatan production without betraying Charatan’s traditional spirit.
  • As before, the maximum pipe size is equivalent to Dunhill group 5, and these are generally less rare.
  • Stem: apart from some exceptions, almost always in ebonite, frequently saddle-shaped or Double Comfort saddle type, but never tapered. The saddle stem fits into the shank perfectly and has a flattened part. On the other hand, the Double Comfort features a saddle stem with a stepped bit, which is shorter. This type of stem dates from the beginning of the third period, although again this is approximate. Indeed, some experts even date it back to the beginning of WWII. The stem bears a thicker Charatan logo (CP).
Shank: If there is a Double Comfort stem, the shape code is followed by “DC”, if not the shape code is followed by an “X”. Pipes made for the American market bear the Lane logo with a serif, circled capital L. The stamp “CHARATAN'S MAKE - LONDON ENGLAND” is arranged in two lines, and on some models the shank bears the script: “MADE BY HAND”.

Buy Charatan pipes

Charatan Crown Achievement

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
I would suggest 1962-65 but i am no expert. from

Al Pascià - Charatan Pipes - Online selling - Official pipe reta - https://www.alpascia.com/moments/en/detail/81/charatan-pipes

Third period: Lane prior to Ben Wade closure c.1962 – 1965
These years can be considered a kind of continuation of the previous decade, as Wade increasingly influenced Charatan production without betraying Charatan’s traditional spirit.
  • As before, the maximum pipe size is equivalent to Dunhill group 5, and these are generally less rare.
  • Stem: apart from some exceptions, almost always in ebonite, frequently saddle-shaped or Double Comfort saddle type, but never tapered. The saddle stem fits into the shank perfectly and has a flattened part. On the other hand, the Double Comfort features a saddle stem with a stepped bit, which is shorter. This type of stem dates from the beginning of the third period, although again this is approximate. Indeed, some experts even date it back to the beginning of WWII. The stem bears a thicker Charatan logo (CP).
Shank: If there is a Double Comfort stem, the shape code is followed by “DC”, if not the shape code is followed by an “X”. Pipes made for the American market bear the Lane logo with a serif, circled capital L. The stamp “CHARATAN'S MAKE - LONDON ENGLAND” is arranged in two lines, and on some models the shank bears the script: “MADE BY HAND”.

Buy Charatan pipes

Charatan Crown Achievement

Thanks, paulfg. Grateful.

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
"REGD NO 203573" (small letters should be superscript, but I don't see the option)

It's a Lane era Charatan. Legit stem. CP logos are thin, shallow and easily buffed away. I do see something though. May be stamp remnants or may be schmutz.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
7charb, I just looked and my Charatan in the above pic doesn't have the logo on the stem. My mistake, sorry but it still just smoked a bowl of Old Toby just fine. ??

Status
Not open for further replies.