Help: 1960 Dunhill Shell (Shape 137)... How Much?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

3 Fresh Askwith Pipes
12 Fresh Dunhill Pipes
36 Fresh Brigham Pipes
12 Fresh BriarWorks Pipes
2 Fresh Kent Rasmussen Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I would be remiss if I didn't point out both Maxim (Pipes2Smoke) and Dave Neeb (Mkelaw-Pipes) have some good prices on some Dunhills and both are site sponsors as well as great guys to deal with. puffy

Reactions: verporchting

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
With a nice chatter-free stem and a solid bowl, $175-$195 would be a good price to pay. Finish is a bit faded, but grain is nice ?? How are the stem and bowl?

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
For some reason (not an intellectual one), I favor older pipes. By older, I mean 60s or earlier. The earlier the better. Not sure how to verify this is specifically a 1960 as described by the seller.

And, as long as it is not too beat up... I actually prefer to restore a pipe. It adds some intrinsic value to it for me. Yeah, I am kind of weird.

Reactions: Bengel

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
For some reason (not an intellectual one), I favor older pipes. By older, I mean 60s or earlier. The earlier the better. Not sure how to verify this is specifically a 1960 as described by the seller.

And, as long as it is not too beat up... I actually prefer to restore a pipe. It adds some intrinsic value to it for me. Yeah, I am kind of weird.
Small zero with a line under is 1960. I just bought a 1960 Don, that's the only reason I know. lol

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
After seeing the bit and button, I'd have to pass. The button is chewed up and removing that much oxidation on the bit of a tapered stem may cause a hole.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
It looks solid enough but every time I see a pipe in that kind of condition I automatically subtract $50 from what I'm willing to spend because that's the minimum amount it would cost me to have it professionally cleaned/restored. Probably slightly more with shipping.

If you have the skills to do the work yourself you would of course save that $ but it's something to consider when bargaining.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
BTW nice blast on that pipe, I also like the Dublin shape. Good size, grp 4. For a pro, that would be an easy restore/clean up (hell, I could fix that stem), though I wouldn't recommend it as a first "stem rebuild" project.

:)

Reactions: Humblepipe
Status
Not open for further replies.