PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

twiggy

Might Stick Around
Jun 25, 2019
Niagara Falls
I'm a new pipe smoker, in fact so new that I consider my first pipe to have been smoked this past Sunday. I did smoke a pipe a couple times when I was 19 (legal smoking age where I live) but it was cheap stuff from a convenience store, and I didn't know what I was doing, so I don't count it. I'm 24 now.
I recently bought two new pipes, a pipe tool, some pipe cleaner, and some new tobacco, though I still have most of the tobacco I bought 5 years ago. One is a briar pipe that costed me $35 and the other is an MM corn cob, that was only $10.
I think I am getting better at it, but I do need to learn to light things better, because I am confident in my packing, but not in my lighting. I am just using a regular bic lighter right now, but it's hard to use upside down, and when there's even a breeze outside let alone significant wind. Smoking inside would be easier, but my folks don't allow that, for

understandable reasons.
64822612_10215012365126746_3554656887133700096_n.jpg

Just saying hello.

derhammer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 7, 2018
New Zealand
Welcome!

It is nice to invest in a zippo pipe lighter for their versatility. However I do find matches are best for me personally.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Get you some charring lights going, I usually do two before I start actually smoking...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6EWJcSbhLY
Save yourself some time and set the playback speed to 1.5. Muttnchop has great info for beginners, but talks slow as hell. I'd recommend checking out his page for other great beginner vids and info. Certainly helped me a lot getting started.
As far as lighters go, pipe lighters are pricey, but great. For now, spend your money on some tins of fine tobacco, but when you get to that point check out kiribi kabuto lighters. They are not cheap, like any good pipe lighter, but a great value.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Hello and Welcome..Don't let yourself get frustrated..All of us at one time were where you are now..With some practice you'll find what works for you.Hang in there and it will be well worth it.

trudger

Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
Sup Twiggy?! Welcome to the forums! Read some old threads, ask some questions, and watch some vids. Gets easier with experience and patience.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
That's the same cob I use for the occasional aromatic smoke. As stated, practice makes perfect and the learning is part of the experience.
Welcome to the forum!
jay-roger.jpg

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
Hello!
I don't worry about rim char on cobs, so I pretty much exclusively use a bic now. Less fuss than zippos. It's just a matter of shielding the flame with your hands. You'll want to get a zippo anyway, to improve your options. But I've never met a cigarette smoker who gave a second thought to their lighter...they just cup their hands and smoke.
Just some thoughts from a fellow outdoor smoker!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome. So far, good start. Don't be afraid of relights. Use your tamper gently. As you go along, questions welcome.

bayareabriar

May 8, 2019
Use the tamper gently like previously mentioned. Tamp only dead center and that should help build up a nice cake.

gerryp

Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
I use Bics too, or the refillable Clippers. Sometimes if I feel fancy, or when using a lighter would require getting up and finding one, I'll use a tobacco store freebie wooden match.

Status
Not open for further replies.