Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I wasn’t over the moon when I first tried pipes, either. It took me some on again, off again for a few months to really get into it. Luckily for you, there exists a heaping assload of different pipe tobaccos, so if pipes in general interest you I’d say try a handful of different styles before writing the whole thing off. Also, welcome!

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
Welcome from New Mexico, As long as you are doing it for YOU and not anybody else I would say get used to it, no rush. Its different then a cigarette or cigar it takes some practice and patience. Eventually you will get that AH-HA moment and realize you were smoking without even noticing your were puffing away. That moment is honestly a great feeling, But then you start getting the good o'l PAD and TAD itch which many of us are experiencing at this very moment lol.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Literally tried a pipe for a first time today. Not sure it’s for me to be honest. Would be great to hear if this experience is normal. Regards
yeah it kind of takes a while to get the hang of it. Even some people like myself who enjoyed it for years will kind of hit a new level of appreciation and skill. Also lots of different tobaccos out there and pipes and things to light them with. All make some difference. Some more then others.

Scottie B

Lurker
Jan 4, 2023
Thanks for all the replies! Like all of us, I’ve smelled some delicious pipe smoke and that’s what I’m looking for. My unfortunate experience today tasted like I had my nose in a dirty ash tray. Not what I was hoping for. But sounds like I just need to be patient, learn a bit and try some different tobacco. It’s reassuring to know I’m not alone.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Welcome from AZ. Not alone, as you’ve heard. Try English blends or old school blends. Many have had the same experience the smell they remember doesn’t translate to your first experiences. Lack of knowledge and technique. But, it does come around and it does give you the taste and experience you’re seeking.

orvet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2023
Willamette Valley of Oregon
I'm not sure I can quote this properly but to the best of my memory someone once to asked Sir Winston Churchill how he had become such a connoisseur of tobacco. His reply as I recall was, "I toiled after it sir, as some men toil after virtue."

It does take time to condition your mouth and learn how to puff and not suck too hard. Tobacco choice also has a lot to do with it as does the pipe. Often the pouch tobacco, once readily available in drug stores, has some glycerin to help keep it moist as they are not vacuum sealed. When glycerin burns one of the byproducts is alcohol which can be bitter.
Bulk tobacco from your local Tobacconist or the sealed cans of tobacco usually do not have the glycerin content and tend to smoke a little cooler and sweeter, in my opinion.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Welcome from KC!! Of course, you didn't like it. You need to dry tobacco a bowl full at a time. Five to fifteen minutes is enough. Then remember to not pack your pipe so tight. If it's tighter than a good cigar it's too tight. Finally, it is important to smoke it a proper pace. Go slow with it. One rule to follow is to just sip it.