PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitecane

Lurker
Feb 4, 2020
I am a newbie and also blind pipe smoker (about 7 months with the pipe)and am located in Kentucky. I would like to learn more about pipe smoking from this forms members. I started with MM cobs and aromatics. The cobs worked well but the aromatics lit me up. After trying a number of different bulk blends I seem to prefer different Burley, English and Vaper blends. Packing and lighting the pipe is going better, but still not quite right and my Zippo pipe lighter is rough on the rim of the cobs and my clinching is destroying the bits. I guess I need more practice and a better technique for lighting before smoking my briar pipes. I would rather not scar them up right out of the gate. Thanks for reading and hopefully it doesn't take me to long to learn to navigate the form.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I am a newbie and also blind pipe smoker (about 7 months with the pipe)and am located in Kentucky. I would like to learn more about pipe smoking from this forms members. I started with MM cobs and aromatics. The cobs worked well but the aromatics lit me up. After trying a number of different bulk blends I seem to prefer different Burley, English and Vaper blends. Packing and lighting the pipe is going better, but still not quite right and my Zippo pipe lighter is rough on the rim of the cobs and my clinching is destroying the bits. I guess I need more practice and a better technique for lighting before smoking my briar pipes. I would rather not scar them up right out of the gate. Thanks for reading and hopefully it doesn't take me to long to learn to navigate the form.
well cobs are way easier to scorch the rims. And zippo will replace the chimney with a pipe insert if you send it to their factory and give them a note saying you want it to be a pipe lighter. They make more money if you use the lighter then if it sits in a draw so... it's a win for both parties. And the one thing I really hate about MM pipes are the stems that are flimsy and easily destroyed.

Reactions: whsergent

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Welcome from Florida. You might wan to grab an IM Corona Old Boy lighter as they are very reliable and have a nice angled flame that won't toast your rims. It also comes with a built in tamper that is great.

Reactions: whsergent

Whitecane

Lurker
Feb 4, 2020
well cobs are way easier to scorch the rims. And zippo will replace the chimney with a pipe insert if you send it to their factory and give them a note saying you want it to be a pipe lighter. They make more money if you use the lighter then if it sits in a draw so... it's a win for both parties. And the one thing I really hate about MM pipes are the stems that are flimsy and easily destroyed.
Hi there. I have a pipe insert. I think its more than scorching the rim. I have a tendency to use the chimney of the lighter to find the tobacco chamber and that chips the rim of the bowl.

Reactions: anotherbob

Whitecane

Lurker
Feb 4, 2020
Welcome from Florida. You might wan to grab an IM Corona Old Boy lighter as they are very reliable and have a nice angled flame that won't toast your rims. It also comes with a built in tamper that is great.
Thanks I'll check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.