PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

VA Gent

Lurker
Feb 10, 2021
I notice when I relight my tobacco, the center is ash and a ring around the center next to the side of the bowl is unburned tobacco. Initially I try to light the entire tobacco surface (several charring lights and several full lights) to obtain a complete burn. Also I checked to make certain I had not packed the tobacco too tightly. Any help and opinions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, VA Gent

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Think of a campfire: it burns in the centre and you push the fuel (logs in this case) around the fire towards it. Do the same in your pipe using your tamper: carefully and gently push the unburnt tobacco in the periphery towards the centre, making a kind of pyramid, not unlike a campfire.

I find the 8deco tampers, with their concave ends to be excellent for this task:

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I notice when I relight my tobacco, the center is ash and a ring around the center next to the side of the bowl is unburned tobacco. Initially I try to light the entire tobacco surface (several charring lights and several full lights) to obtain a complete burn. Also I checked to make certain I had not packed the tobacco too tightly. Any help and opinions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, VA Gent
yeah don't worry about it. Seriously I'd just dump out the ash from the middle (poke the ash a few times with the stick part of a pipe tool or match, turn the pipe over and the ash will fall out) and tamp the stuff from the sides into the middle of the bowl. And this is important you don't have to get all the ash dumped just a decent percentage of the ash. Honestly I've never come across anyway to really completely get rid of this issue. Though it does seem like the less you care about it the less it happens.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I view it as a sign of smoking at a proper speed. If you’re able to keep just a small ember going, it’ll be a cooler, longer, more flavourful smoke than if you had a big one the size of the entire chamber. The cost is that you need to tamp a bit more purposefully, as described above.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
I feel like the ember in a pipe is naturally cone-shaped. The surface of the tobacco might be burning evenly across the bowl, but underneath the surface, the ember narrows towards the center. Just does it naturally. I find fairly frequent, light tamping helps spread the ember towards the edges a bit as you smoke down, as the wide part of the ember is pressed down on the unburned tobacco beneath. Tamping the edges is pretty important. The picture @olkofri posted shows this really well.
Sometimes an even packing of the pipe will help eliminate the “cone,” but it’s really not a big deal. Just shove the unburned stuff into the center, as the others have said. Dump the ash and collapse the unburned sides in. I have to do that all the time, especially when smoking folded flakes.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Think of a campfire: it burns in the centre and you push the fuel (logs in this case) around the fire towards it. Do the same in your pipe using your tamper: carefully and gently push the unburnt tobacco in the periphery towards the centre, making a kind of pyramid, not unlike a campfire.

I find the 8deco tampers, with their concave ends to be excellent for this task:

This ^^ I tend to forget my tamper so I use my finger a lot.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Since I’m not a carpenter I use my finger as a tamper, if I was a carpenter I’d use my stub as a tamp
I was a carpenter and I still have my fingers..lol. Not that I didn't have close calls. Had a saw kick back once and graze three fingers. Mangled up the flesh. Old timer came up, wrapped my fingers in paper towels and duct tape. Told me to get my ass back to work. It was a man up moment and I manned up. Little shit like that molds a boy into the man he'll become. My boys didn't stand a chance.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Usually i try to light the tobacco as evenly as possible. Then just let it go. Normally I would relight once or twice during smoke. Even out the top of the tobacco before relight. When the relight is below 1/3 bowl, I usually stop playing with tobacco. Too much chance of killing the ember. I might tamp really gently if I feel flavor going away.