PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Welcome to the forum from Chicago Mark! When ya get down here, you have to go visit Iwan Ries. It's Chicago's pipe mecca and one of the oldest, most well stocked shops in the country.

Reactions: Kozeman

Kozeman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2020
Woodstock, Illinois
Welcome from central N.C. from a native Chicagoland guy who remembers Woodstock, Illinois, well. The family used to go out near there for Mother's Day dinners at the Union Cafe which had stellar Yankee pot roast and French fries much better than any fast food fries. It was a long wait on Mother's Day, but good eating, with my dad's mom and my own mom as honored guests. Also nearby was the Palwaukee private airfield, good for a few minutes of Piper Cub watching, and a friend of my dad's who had a cattle ranch and raised Airedale dogs. We didn't do all this on Mother's Day but on other visits to the Union Cafe. If you don't go back that far, you may not know about the Union Cafe. I think it closed decades ago.

I bought my property in Woodstock in 2001 and built my house in 2011. So, I missed out on the Union Cafe experience. Palwaukee is a bit of a hike but we have Galt Airport right up the road. It's a nice quiet little airport that hosts Barnstorming Days once a year which is a fun time to watch some vintage planes in action. They also have a vintage car gathering on that same day, which makes for a fun, relaxing time.

Kozeman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2020
Woodstock, Illinois
Question for those in more rural areas: I am unable to access the forum from my home internet connection for some reason. We have Hughes Satellite as our service provider. It says something to the effect of me having insufficient privileges to access the servers. Works from my ATT phone but not from the Hughes link on a PC or tablet. While the phone was a reasonable way to "Lurk", it makes it very inconvenient for typing responses. Has anyone else had any issues with a particular service provider?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Kozeman, yes, my Woodstock experiences go way way back. My dad's business colleague, who had the farm and Airedale dogs, was named Tresh, in case any of that family is still in the area and known to you. That's unlikely; families are so mobile, generations relocate across the nation and globe.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Dude... Pipes, beer, sausage, shooting (for the gun guys).. You've gotta be a popular guy! I quit drinking a few years back, but I do miss beer, and the list on your pub sounds stellar. I don't know what the laws are like out there, but you ever think of adding a smoking lounge or patio? Maybe a humidor, some pipes and tobacco? That would be heaven!

Welcome from the SF Bay Area!

Kozeman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2020
Woodstock, Illinois
Dude... Pipes, beer, sausage, shooting (for the gun guys).. You've gotta be a popular guy! I quit drinking a few years back, but I do miss beer, and the list on your pub sounds stellar. I don't know what the laws are like out there, but you ever think of adding a smoking lounge or patio? Maybe a humidor, some pipes and tobacco? That would be heaven!

Welcome from the SF Bay Area!
My Brother, who is in on the Pub with me, keeps talking about a smoking lounge. Not sure we have the room for it. We have been thinking about sticking a deck outside. We currently have a couple tables outside which tends to be where the smokers get their fix between beers. I woke to -14F this morning so sitting outside to smoke or drink doesn't sound too appealing right now.

Reactions: danimalia
Status
Not open for further replies.