PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zepfan84

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 10, 2021
Wilmington, N.C.
Hi everyone! I've been an off again/on again pipe smoker for the last 15 years or so but I'm back into the pipe smoking hobby again and was really glad when I ran across this forum of fellow pipe enthusiasts. I'm a lover of all types of tobacco, but my current favorite is probably Escudo, along with Firedance Flake as my favorite aromatic. I'm always looking for something new to try though so if you have any recommendations, I'm all ears! I look forward to speaking with, and learning a lot, from all of you! Sweet smokes everyone!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
if you like Escudo certainly try Davidoff Flake Medallion. Both in my opinion are as good and yet different enough from each other to enjoy equally. I find the Davidoff a little more leathery and reminds me more of a fancy library in some weird way I can't explain any better then that.

Reactions: Zepfan84

Zepfan84

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 10, 2021
Wilmington, N.C.
if you like Escudo certainly try Davidoff Flake Medallion. Both in my opinion are as good and yet different enough from each other to enjoy equally. I find the Davidoff a little more leathery and reminds me more of a fancy library in some weird way I can't explain any better then that.
Thank you! I'll definitely give that one a try. Your description makes it sound pretty good!

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

Zepfan84

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 10, 2021
Wilmington, N.C.
I spent some time in and about Wilmington in the early 1990's when I worked on Super Mario Brothers, where we were shooting at an old cement factory.

Beautiful countryside.

Welcome to the forums.
Thank you! That's awesome that you worked on Super Mario Brothers, I remember watching that as a kid. What did you do for the movie, if you don't mind me asking?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I spent some time in and about Wilmington in the early 1990's when I worked on Super Mario Brothers, where we were shooting at an old cement factory.

Beautiful countryside.

Welcome to the forums.
oh you poor man. I've heard that movie is considered to be an international war crime and that several of the principal actors still have night terrors about making that film.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Thank you! That's awesome that you worked on Super Mario Brothers, I remember watching that as a kid. What did you do for the movie, if you don't mind me asking?
Heck, why would I mind? I wore several hats on that film. We 4 walled a facility to do the VFX for the film, in West L.A. not far from Marina Del Rey. I went to NC to supervise shooting of some live action plates for the matte paintings, designed matte paintings, and painted views of Dinohattan back in LA. I also storyboarded a couple of sequences, including the de-evolution of Koopa, while in NC, and designed some bits and pieces of Dinohattan for the film.
At that time, getting the footage digitized was difficult as there were only a couple of companies that had built film scanners, and they wanted to do the FX, not the scanning. These early home brew scanners presented real performance problems, and costs to do the scanning were extremely high.
Then Kodak announced that they had developed a film scanner, which they called the Cineon Scanner, and that changed everything. I was tasked with evaluating the quality of the scanner for our use. I reviewed the scans and if I didn't like the result, ordered a rescan.
So basically I did a bit of this and that, whatever was asked of me. I even taught myself enough UNIX to fix networking links when the Silicon Graphics Machines got pissy and wouldn't talk to each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.