PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
WVOld, I started out my working life, after the Navy, as a veterans counselor under the old Veterans Administration, most specifically helping fellow vets get their GI Bill checks, but any other applicable benefits, from home loan guarantees to dependent educational benefits. I was stationed at several campuses, so it was a good transition from school. Then I found my science writing/editing job. But it was good just to get into the middle class, have a wife, an apartment with a kitchen, and a little vacation money, for examples. I scrimped in the Navy and saved enough to pay out-of-state tuition in grad school and later to buy a new VW bug, and still later, the downpayment on a house.
Thanks for your service!! I ran a Veterans Cemetery for the Maryland Department of Veterans Affairs for 23 years. I conducted over 3,000 funerals for Veterans or their spouses. It was a tough job some days, but rewarding. After I retired, I worked part-time as a Veterans Certifying Official for the local college, making sure that the Veteran got his GI bill. I don't regret a single moment and am very thankful to have met so many wonderful people, who have done so much for our country.

Latakia Dave

Lifer
Mar 4, 2021
Shenandoah Vally Virginia
I thank you for having me in the forum. I have read and appreciated your views and taste buds for a long time and respect all of you. I have been smoking a pipe for 41 years when I started as a Park Naturalist and Program Director for a park in the West Virginia Park System. My Mentor smoked a pipe and my hero, Sherlock Holmes smoked a pipe so the natural thing was to smoke a pipe. Back in the 60's and 70's more people smoked pipes so it was not an uncommon practice. My first pipe tobacco was Borkum Riff Whiskey and it is a wonder that I am still a pipe smoker after that, but I progressed to many, many others. I am a Burley lover so I prefer the "Old Codger" OTC blends, such as Carter Hall, Velvet, Prince Albert, Sir Walter Raleigh, Half and Half, Field and Stream Match and Hines Mixture Match etc etc. etc. I enjoy many of the newer blends, such as Molto Dolce, Plum Pudding and Barbados Plantation, but most blends to me are just trying to make a better mouse trap when the original still works best. I remember as a child walking into the old tobacco shop and smelling those wonderful smells and the atmosphere. It was heavenly. I would be interested to read about your first experience with the TOBACCO SHOP.
Hello and welcome from Virginia!

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
G'day and welcome from Oz.

There's still a couple of small cigar shops in Sydney city but true tobacconists are a thing of the past.
We're left with cigarette shops with goods hidden in cupboards.

Reactions: WVOldFart
Status
Not open for further replies.