PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

JRW11b

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2023
Hello! I'm a US Army vet from west TX. Been a lurker for a bit and finally decided to get into smoking a pipe. I'm currently a pretty avid cigar smoker and I favor full bodied maduro cigars, usually anything with CT or PA broadleaf is right up my alley. I understand I'm not going to get a cigar type experience with piping, but I'm looking for a full bodied type of tobscco, perhaps with a bit of spice. I'm thinking of ordering Petersons University Flake and some C&D Pirate make. Any other suggestions are welcome. This seems like an awesome community with tons of great, knowledgeable people, so I'm excited to join you all here! Thanks in advance and I hope you all are having a great weekend!!

Jbyrd

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 4, 2023
Springfield MO
Welcome from Missouri I can't really recommend a tobacco because I'm still sampling and trying to figure out what I like. The amount of blends that are out there it may take me the rest of my life to sample them. Good luck and just enjoy the hobby it is a lot of fun in my opinion.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Welcome from Alaska!

What part of west Texas?

Regarding the tobacco - I’d say order up a bunch of 1oz bulk samples in a bunch of different categories, figure out which ones you like, and then jump headfirst into the rabbit hole associated with those styles.

Enjoy!

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
Welcome from New Mexico. I'm a big fan of Haunted Bookshop. Any burley blend really. Haven't had a cigar since I start smoking a pipe. There are a lot of blends that will give you that bit of spice.

Reactions: JRW11b

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Hello! I'm a US Army vet from west TX. Been a lurker for a bit and finally decided to get into smoking a pipe. I'm currently a pretty avid cigar smoker and I favor full bodied maduro cigars, usually anything with CT or PA broadleaf is right up my alley. I understand I'm not going to get a cigar type experience with piping, but I'm looking for a full bodied type of tobscco, perhaps with a bit of spice. I'm thinking of ordering Petersons University Flake and some C&D Pirate make. Any other suggestions are welcome. This seems like an awesome community with tons of great, knowledgeable people, so I'm excited to join you all here! Thanks in advance and I hope you all are having a great weekend!!
I would say just going on gut feeling you'd like Mac Barren Bold Kentucky. Not the same as what you like but it's smooth yet full bodied. For me it scratches a similar itch to what you say you like in cigars.
Oh and honestly almost all pipe tobacco is pretty consistently good. And University Flake was my first non aromatic pipe tobacco love. I.e. it's great stuff, but not really full bodied just really darn good.

Sgetz

Lifer
May 21, 2020
UK
Welcome from Durham in the UK. G L Pease Key Largo has cigar leaf and a somewhat cigar flavour. Try it

Reactions: JRW11b