PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard from central North Carolina. My wife gifted me with my only Oom-Paul, a Savinelli in the Hercules series. The U-Turn bend makes it feel light weight, and it is not a particularly heavy pipe anyway, with a good deep chamber.

Are CB radios still common among drivers, or have cell phones pretty much supplanted those? I only ask because there was a discussion of CB's on a recent thread here.

Good pipe and tobacco info here -- history, lore, blends and blending, maintenance, repair, pipe restoration and carving, etc. I always learn something.

T-townrestore

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 10, 2021
Tacoma
Thank you all. I'm living in Longview WA. but spend most of my day on I-5 in a truck. That is what brings me here.
I have already found that a straight stemmed pipe doesn't work as there is too much leverage against the jaw and teeth when hitting bumps in the road. I currently have 3 full bent pipes that I rotate, I'm considering an oom paul which might hang closer to the jaw. I found a savenlli on ebay that I'm drawn to but it looks rather heavy. I have also been looking at Peterson oom paul which looks lighter but I'm not fond of the sitter. Any thoughts?
Hello from Tacoma. I’m a former truck driver and mainly stuck around the sound area, a lot of Seattle and the east side. I definitely think an oom paul would work best. There is a nice Irish Seconds oom paul on eBay that that you might be able to talk down. Also, Peterson’s Baskerville might be a good shape for you. It’s like an oom paul, but they call a fully bent Rhodesian.

Reactions: Trainpipeman

Andre_T

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 17, 2018
Long Island, New York
I first tried smoking a pipe in the 70's. Started with borkum riff and a drug store pipe. Then a friend said get a good pipe and some good tabacco. I found a tinder box and bought a second from the bargain bin. The smoke was vastly improved. I have been smoking off and on through the years but I have decided to get serious.
Welcome from the People's Republic of New York.

TruckerSteve

Lurker
Nov 9, 2022
Longview Washington
Welcome aboard from central North Carolina. My wife gifted me with my only Oom-Paul, a Savinelli in the Hercules series. The U-Turn bend makes it feel light weight, and it is not a particularly heavy pipe anyway, with a good deep chamber.

Are CB radios still common among drivers, or have cell phones pretty much supplanted those? I only ask because there was a discussion of CB's on a recent thread here.

Good pipe and tobacco info here -- history, lore, blends and blending, maintenance, repair, pipe restoration and carving, etc. I always learn something.
Thank you for the welcome. I decided to go with a savenlli 604 that I found on ebay. My wife ordered a Peterson for my ⛄ present. I should be in great shape for awhile
As for CB radios, most drivers still have them but it's not like it used to be. They're usually used in Mills and warehouse yards. Once in awhile you'll hear guys talking or The Skip shooters when the weather is right.