PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard from central North Carolina. This is a good community for expertise and knowledge on pipe smoking. Did you have to make a transition from celluloid to digital in your photography career, or did you pretty much grow up with digital? I did some photo work in my job, but not as a full-time photographer, and I did quite a bit of photography as recreation, but digital never felt the same. I even liked the wait for processing when I didn't have a darkroom, as part of the creative process. Digital is so much better in so many ways, but I never got to where it felt like I was governing the creative process, the software was. Obviously, it's a different world, and a good one, just not mine.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
After a certain price point, I don't think a more expensive pipe improves the smoke, and with inexpensive pipes, with a certain amount of research and shopping you can find primo smokers for college kid prices. However, owning a fine piece of craftsmanship and art is worth plenty to a lot of people. To have an exquisite piece of carving, drilling, finish, and especially design, is no small matter. I'm somewhat a medium/low cost pipe guy on Forums, but I have some up-market treasures that I thoroughly appreciate as well, and knowing what a fine pipe looks and feels like certainly informs my less expensive purchases.

Reactions: Admiral Byrd

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome from the Central Coast of California! Ask any question, make any observation you wish.

"Better" can include, and does for some, aesthetics. But as to what rolls out the stem, very little difference for most.

Spavilla

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 6, 2020
Gulf Coast of Florida
Hi, all. My name is Eric Guel and I live in Waco, TX (Sic 'em, Bears!). I'm a full time editorial and commercial photographer. I'm 44 years old.

Back in college (circa 1995) my buddies and I thought it would be cool to buy some cigars and smoke them on a camping trip. We bought some cheap drug store stogies, and over the next several months became regular smokers. We eventually "graduated" to handmade cigars from humidors. A few months after that, I bought a pipe, because, why not?

I soon became more of a pipe smoker than a cigar smoker. I started out with Dr. Grabows and in about 1997 my then-girlfriend (who has been my wife for 22 years now) bought me a Savinelli second. It smoked beautifully compared to my cheap pipes and it quickly became my favorite pipe. I smoked it for 18 years or so.

Over the years I amassed a collection of relatively inexpensive pipes: Grabows, seconds, etc. While I never really had a totally legit pipe, I was an avid smoker for the most part (primarily aromatics, since my wife likes the smell so much she's cool with me smoking in the house).

About two weeks ago I bought a full blown Savinelli (pictured below), and, once again, I'm amazed at how well it smokes compared to its cheaper brethren. It cost about $100, which is way more than I had ever paid for a pipe before.

So here I am. Glad to be a part of this message board.

One question I have for you experts is does the quality of a smoking experience go up with an even more finely crafted (i.e. expensive) pipe?

Here's a photo I just took of myself, and one of the beautiful woman who bought me my first non-drug store pipe so many years ago.

Eric Guel
Waco, TX

View attachment 35560View attachment 35561
Welcome Eric, seems like you’ve been enjoying yourself all along so if your budget affords you a “nicer” pipe once and a while, great! It’s the experience that really counts. Looks like you were blessed with a wonderful lady too, so keep on keepin’ on as they say! - Franco

LightningII

Lurker
Jul 17, 2020
Waxahachie, Texas
Hi, all. My name is Eric Guel and I live in Waco, TX (Sic 'em, Bears!). I'm a full time editorial and commercial photographer. I'm 44 years old.

Back in college (circa 1995) my buddies and I thought it would be cool to buy some cigars and smoke them on a camping trip. We bought some cheap drug store stogies, and over the next several months became regular smokers. We eventually "graduated" to handmade cigars from humidors. A few months after that, I bought a pipe, because, why not?

I soon became more of a pipe smoker than a cigar smoker. I started out with Dr. Grabows and in about 1997 my then-girlfriend (who has been my wife for 22 years now) bought me a Savinelli second. It smoked beautifully compared to my cheap pipes and it quickly became my favorite pipe. I smoked it for 18 years or so.

Over the years I amassed a collection of relatively inexpensive pipes: Grabows, seconds, etc. While I never really had a totally legit pipe, I was an avid smoker for the most part (primarily aromatics, since my wife likes the smell so much she's cool with me smoking in the house).

About two weeks ago I bought a full blown Savinelli (pictured below), and, once again, I'm amazed at how well it smokes compared to its cheaper brethren. It cost about $100, which is way more than I had ever paid for a pipe before.

So here I am. Glad to be a part of this message board.

One question I have for you experts is does the quality of a smoking experience go up with an even more finely crafted (i.e. expensive) pipe?

Here's a photo I just took of myself, and one of the beautiful woman who bought me my first non-drug store pipe so many years ago.

Eric Guel
Waco, TX

View attachment 35560View attachment 35561
Welcome from a little north of you.

indoeuro

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Central Texas
Welcome! I just moved to Central Texas. Looks like we have the makings of a group in this forum!
Re: quality of smoke, I think you're fine sticking with Savinelli. Those balsa filters really make smoking Virginias and aromatics a breeze, and you look cool doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.