PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

StrawBunyan

Lurker
Sep 18, 2021
Tennessee
Quick update.
My stuff came today. Working on the carbon cake the package said to build. Doing that with the country gentleman. Opened the night cap to have a sniff and I REALLY hope it tastes exactly the way it smells cause it is STANK in the best of ways. Almost reminds me of road tar, I love it.

StrawBunyan

Lurker
Sep 18, 2021
Tennessee
Quick update.
My stuff came today. Working on the carbon cake the package said to build. Doing that with the country gentleman. Opened the night cap to have a sniff and I REALLY hope it tastes exactly the way it smells cause it is STANK in the best of ways. Almost reminds me of road tar, I love it.
Update on the update.
I smoked the nightcap...I had to.
I loved it. It tasted musty and piney. Almost exactly the flavor I was after. I burned it a bit towards the end and it dulled the taste some but all in all it was good. I have this fantastic after taste in my mouth like a fine grade char wood or something that I'm really liking. And the nicotine was almost hallucinagenic ??? you will have to forgive my descriptions as I don't know exactly how to state what I'm tasting but so far, from the two I've smoked, night cap is winning.
If anyone can recommend anything similar I can try I would appreciate it.

Bax Burley

Can't Leave
Jul 20, 2021
Pennsylvania
Yeah I always do everything all the way ?.
Honestly I've never been a fan of flavored things. I'm even a bit scared of Turkish and orientals. I've been a smoker for some time just never a pipe so I am hoping that helps ?? there are a few aromatics I might try, I'm sure, I just have not found them yet. I know anything booze flavored, cherry, vanilla, mint or anything the like is definitely out. I might try a plum or honey.

I will let you know how I like the H.B., from all of the reviews I've read, I should enjoy it. I have some university flake on the way as well.
If you're a cigarette guy, Haunted Bookshop will be easy for you then. I haven't had a cigarette in probably 17 years but my body certainly remembers nicotine.

You might like something like Newminster Norway. It's faintly spicy and does have Turkish in it, but it's really just pure tobacco. I do get the tiniest hint of nutmeg in it, though.

Reactions: StrawBunyan

StrawBunyan

Lurker
Sep 18, 2021
Tennessee
Welcome from New York. The first tinned tobac I bought was Peterson’s Flake and I’ve enjoyed it since which is only around 8-10 months lmao.
How are you finding it?
So far I smoke it cause I have it and I want to love it. All of the reviews talked about hay and barnyards and cut grass and citrus and I just taste air. I dried some out and packed it super loose and smoked it super slowly and I did start to taste little hints of flavor I enjoyed but it really needs coaxed out it seems....maybe it'll be my thinking grass since I have to massage it so much. I've smoked 4 flakes and tasted very little. I bought another tin and I'm going to cellar the new one and keep experimenting with this one.
The photos on the site I bought from show this lovely blonde tobacco, mine is much much darker so I'm thinking it may need time to become something I actually enjoy. I was really looking forward to fresh cut grass, hay, and citrus.

Reactions: Charlie718

Charlie718

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2021
Bronx, New York
How are you finding it?
So far I smoke it cause I have it and I want to love it. All of the reviews talked about hay and barnyards and cut grass and citrus and I just taste air. I dried some out and packed it super loose and smoked it super slowly and I did start to taste little hints of flavor I enjoyed but it really needs coaxed out it seems....maybe it'll be my thinking grass since I have to massage it so much. I've smoked 4 flakes and tasted very little. I bought another tin and I'm going to cellar the new one and keep experimenting with this one.
The photos on the site I bought from show this lovely blonde tobacco, mine is much much darker so I'm thinking it may need time to become something I actually enjoy. I was really looking forward to fresh cut grass, hay, and citrus.
At first I had similar experiences, I’d get rare hints of flavor. Then about half way through the first tin I learned to keep it at point it was barely smoldering, take small sips and allow a little air in with the sip and I started getting great flavors consistently. Now it’s one of my favorites, not to sweet or to earthy it’s the Goldilocks of Va’s for me.
Oh and I fold and stuff lol

StrawBunyan

Lurker
Sep 18, 2021
Tennessee
At first I had similar experiences, I’d get rare hints of flavor. Then about half way through the first tin I learned to keep it at point it was barely smoldering, take small sips and allow a little air in with the sip and I started getting great flavors consistently. Now it’s one of my favorites, not to sweet or to earthy it’s the Goldilocks of Va’s for me.
Oh and I fold and stuff lol
I did let some air in with it and That's when I noticed i was getting a bit taste out of it a little so that must be the secret. The little flavor I did get was incredibly enjoyable so I am certain this is a problem with me ?? I'm going to keep plugging away at it because I know this stuff is good, I just gotta learn to find it and I want to keep a straight Virginia around to smoke, this one is described by the pros as exactly what I want so I want to keep THIS straight Virginia around LOL.
Thanks for the tips. In not giving up on her yet ?

Reactions: Charlie718

Bowlsmoker67

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2021
Montgomery County Ny
Briarworks in Columbia is the closest pipe shop that isn't a headshop. I have a tobacco shop in town but it is just vape stuff and self roll cigarettes. They seemed shocked I was looking for a pipe.

It's the only thing I miss about FL sometimes, it would have been very simple for me to find a pipe within 10 minutes of me....now I have to drive 2 hours to sniff a tin of tobacco.
Same way in upstate ny , closest tobacco shop is about 1 hour away

Etipton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 24, 2021
Tennessee
Welcome from Limestone TN, this is a great group of folks here with tons of helpful info as you get started, my only advice is take it slow both in purchases
(very easy to load up on pipes and tobacco you may not like down the road) and smoking cadence, your pace on the pipe will effect your enjoyment greatly.

StrawBunyan

Lurker
Sep 18, 2021
Tennessee
Welcome from Limestone TN, this is a great group of folks here with tons of helpful info as you get started, my only advice is take it slow both in purchases
(very easy to load up on pipes and tobacco you may not like down the road) and smoking cadence, your pace on the pipe will effect your enjoyment greatly.
I am finding it very difficult not to spend too much money. So many options, one could go nuts.
I did go online and order a cheap 5 dollar backup/swill pipe and some more tobacky.
I decided to stick to the Peterson line for a while so that the things I try are all within the same brand...it eliminated a variable I am not ready to tackle yet.
I ended up getting another tin each of nightcap and flake.
I bought university flake, one to try and one to stuff away.
And I bought one tin of Royal Yacht so I can say I tried an aromatic.

Etipton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 24, 2021
Tennessee
I am finding it very difficult not to spend too much money. So many options, one could go nuts.
I did go online and order a cheap 5 dollar backup/swill pipe and some more tobacky.
I decided to stick to the Peterson line for a while so that the things I try are all within the same brand...it eliminated a variable I am not ready to tackle yet.
I ended up getting another tin each of nightcap and flake.
I bought university flake, one to try and one to stuff away.
And I bought one tin of Royal Yacht so I can say I tried an aromatic.
I’d recommend cult blood red moon if you like cherry, it’s not strong at all but very pleasing, in my opinion it is the best aromatic made and if your married most wife’s love the aroma

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Hello.
New pipe smoker here. Still waiting in my order to arrive in the mail.
Purchased a Dr. Grabow Duke and some pipe cleaners as well as 3 tobaccos that seemed to appeal to me.
Next week I'll be making another larger tobacco order to try to find what I am into.
Really excited to get started.

The 3 I chose to start
Are Peterson flake, nightcap, and some country gentleman.

Next week I'll be getting some haunted bookshop, three nuns, early morning and a few others I haven't determined yet.

Thanks for having me
Howdy and welcome from the great state of Texas - well, mostly the great state.

StrawBunyan

Lurker
Sep 18, 2021
Tennessee
If you are trying to avoid being influenced to spend too much money on pipes and tobacco, you are in the wrong place. It’s like going to Caesar’s to kick your gambling addiction.
The tobacco is going to be the hard one for me. I want so badly to be that old grandpa guy that "had his tobacco" and "that's what he smoked" but with so many wonderful brands, and blends etc it's going to be impossible. As far as I can tell nightcap and flake are about as far apart from one another as you could get and I liked them both. I'm sure I am going to like the royal yacht and university that's on the way...and I already have 4 or 5 other Peterson tins I want to try after these(or during) before I move on to comparing brands......atleast I'll never run out of tobacco, I'm glad it ages well.

davem

Might Stick Around
Oct 21, 2018
South Carolina
Hello.
New pipe smoker here. Still waiting in my order to arrive in the mail.
Purchased a Dr. Grabow Duke and some pipe cleaners as well as 3 tobaccos that seemed to appeal to me.
Next week I'll be making another larger tobacco order to try to find what I am into.
Really excited to get started.

The 3 I chose to start
Are Peterson flake, nightcap, and some country gentleman.

Next week I'll be getting some haunted bookshop, three nuns, early morning and a few others I haven't determined yet.

Thanks for having me
That's part of the fun, trying different tobacco! Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.