PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2021
I have dipped in and out of the hobby for several years. I am a traditional smoker in the sense of preferring English, Balkan, VaPers over aromatics though I am always prepared to be surprised. My current collection Is G&H Brown Irish Twist, SG St James Plug, Peterson Nightcap, Ashtons Artisans Blend, SG Balkan Flake, Charatan Curzon, Revor Plug, Germains 1820 Flake. Being UK based getting US blends is difficult so fairly limited in my experiance. I enjoy aging and blending my own to varying success. I currently blended a nice VaPer over a month making a cake using the naval string pressing method. I have rubbed it out to get some air to it and tastes fantastic. I have also wrapped G&H Brown Twist tightly in parcel string to press it as it sits chilling in the cellar and I'm looking forward to trying it already.

I have a small collection of mainly restored estate pipes. Cobs and Falcons. My prefered shape is the straight Dublin, Canadian and billiard.

Many Thanks

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Wow. The naval string method seems like a great deal of work, but I like the historical aspect.
It's unfortunate that you can't get Cornell and Diehl blends in the U.K. As I find their leaf to be excellent and unadulterated. However, you do have a great deal to choose from on your side of the pond if the nannies would just leave us alone!

May 9, 2021
Wow. The naval string method seems like a great deal of work, but I like the historical aspect.
It's unfortunate that you can't get Cornell and Diehl blends in the U.K. As I find their leaf to be excellent and unadulterated. However, you do have a great deal to choose from on your side of the pond if the nannies would just leave us alone!
It is but it works fantasically. The blend is G&H Brown Flake un-scented (Virginia, Burley) and 7% GH Perique. Thats not a huge amount of the Perique but pressing it together I think kick starts another fermenting process and you really get most out of it. I spent several evenings fully rubbing out the Brown Flake which is made of very long ribbons before adding the Perique. I made a small rectangular pouch out of greaseproof/scilicon paper held in place with masking tape after stuffing it with the fully mixed blend. I used a patch of an old cotton t-shirt to wrap around the pouch once it was taped shut to give the string something to bite into. The string was slightly damp so it constricted further as it dried after I wrapped an entire ball around the pouch. Cake is the perfect term for what came out two weeks later as the edges were very dense and compacted and the center was relatively less so. the whole blend had changed to a darker, slightly red colour and there was a fruity vinegary smell when I rubbed the cake out. I did that so the flavours can infuse uniformally. I've jarred it for two more weeks and its really come out well. I'm thinking of calling it "Inspector Legrasse" in honour of Louisiana and H P Lovecraft.

Wrapping the G&H Brown Twist I just used dry parcel string as I'm sure I've read accounts of that being a practice during the Peninsular campaign of 1807. I managed to compress it down to about half the original thickness of the twist into a pretty rigid stick with just the ends uncovered sitting in a 500ml jar with plenty of air sealed in. I think that will come out well.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
It is but it works fantasically. The blend is G&H Brown Flake un-scented (Virginia, Burley) and 7% GH Perique. Thats not a huge amount of the Perique but pressing it together I think kick starts another fermenting process and you really get most out of it. I spent several evenings fully rubbing out the Brown Flake which is made of very long ribbons before adding the Perique. I made a small rectangular pouch out of greaseproof/scilicon paper held in place with masking tape after stuffing it with the fully mixed blend. I used a patch of an old cotton t-shirt to wrap around the pouch once it was taped shut to give the string something to bite into. The string was slightly damp so it constricted further as it dried after I wrapped an entire ball around the pouch. Cake is the perfect term for what came out two weeks later as the edges were very dense and compacted and the center was relatively less so. the whole blend had changed to a darker, slightly red colour and there was a fruity vinegary smell when I rubbed the cake out. I did that so the flavours can infuse uniformally. I've jarred it for two more weeks and its really come out well. I'm thinking of calling it "Inspector Legrasse" in honour of Louisiana and H P Lovecraft.

Wrapping the G&H Brown Twist I just used dry parcel string as I'm sure I've read accounts of that being a practice during the Peninsular campaign of 1807. I managed to compress it down to about half the original thickness of the twist into a pretty rigid stick with just the ends uncovered sitting in a 500ml jar with plenty of air sealed in. I think that will come out well.
Sounds delicious! Interesting how the perique was enhanced. One of my go to blends is C&D Bayou Morning which has red virginias and 25% perique. Spicy and good!
I've watched the naval sticks method on YouTube and it would appear that you need a shipmate to provide the extra hands. Enjoy!

May 9, 2021
Sounds delicious! Interesting how the perique was enhanced. One of my go to blends is C&D Bayou Morning which has red virginias and 25% perique. Spicy and good!
I've watched the naval sticks method on YouTube and it would appear that you need a shipmate to provide the extra hands. Enjoy!
Yeah I've heard the "morning" part of the name is not advice to be followed especially on an empty stomach. I really like the sound of Russ Ouelette's RO Series Perique Blends. Such a good idea using the specific regions leaves to process and blend separately. 25% seems a little high for my taste buds to be fair. The strongest VaPer I've smoked so far is St James Plug fresh out of the pouch. It ages so well though.

Reactions: edger
Status
Not open for further replies.