PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shirejay

Lurker
Apr 30, 2020
Mor Bretannek
Hello fellow pipe smokers ?

Currently working as an aerospace engineer in the South of France, I have spent quite a bit of my almost half century-long life living abroad for work and education. My most memorable years will unmistakably remain the seven years in England, where I learned to enjoy the simple pleasures of life beyond career ambitions.

A few of my English mates were regular pipe smokers and, in our Saturday night friendly gatherings, used to smoke. I was subjugated by the kind of magic present in pipe smoking, be it the gracious gesture of holding and moving the pipe, the expression of bliss displayed by the pipe smoker or the sensation of serenity it procures to the latter. This magic lighted up my interest in pipe smoking, dare I say, and, after a year-long resistance, I conceded to the art of pipe smoking in late 2019, my best decision ever !

I still feel like an eternal beginner in this pipe smoking hobby and, to be honest, I haven't really smoked that many times either. My few puffs were, however, nothing short of magic. I was advised to start off my journey with a mild aromatic tobacco and, so far, I'm enjoying Gawith Hoggarth's Ennerdale Flake. Any advice on how to proceed on this tobacco journey would be kindly appreciated.

Enjoying the simple pleasures of life, I am fond of growing things and of nature, as a whole. At last, but not least, my interest in all things of the past has naturally led to a constant lookout for pipes of the ancient world, so to say...

May I express sincere apologies to any puffers I may have bored out there with such a long post

With love,

Jay

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Another Jay. Woohoo!

Welcome to the forum. How do you get a good wifi signal out in the channel like that? nana

Jay #1 will be along soon to compare UK notes ( @mawnansmiff )

1590872981509.jpeg

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England
Welcome from England! I would suggest buying some 10g samples of other Hoggarth blends from UK online stores.Then there is Smoking Pipes where you can buy 1oz sample blends.All of which you could review before buying on TobaccoReviews.com.

londonbriar

Lurker
Apr 17, 2019
London-ish, UK
Hello Jay, good to read your opening post.

Glad you are enjoying the briar. Ennerdale is a fine blend, and if you are enjoying it, then keep going. Don't feel like you have to try every blend under the sun if you have found one that you like.

What is the availability of pipe-tobacco like in the south of France? I must admit, the only tobacco product I have picked up when in France is Gauloises Brunes Sans Filtre, to help me pretend to be a French artist.

I have found Spain to have the best tobacco prices in Europe. Cigar shops in big cities seemed well stocked with pipe tobacco, which might be worth a consideration if you ever head across the border.

Steve

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome from the Central Coast of California! Ask any question, make any observation….

"Google Maps can't find Mor Bretannek"

You can put your location in your Profile, which will save questions in the future as to where you live should you mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos of surroundings, and so forth. Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details, which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down.

Eaglesgift

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2020
Chiang Mai
Welcome from the Central Coast of California! Ask any question, make any observation….

"Google Maps can't find Mor Bretannek"

You can put your location in your Profile, which will save questions in the future as to where you live should you mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos of surroundings, and so forth. Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details, which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA

Eaglesgift

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2020
Chiang Mai
Cool! But IN the English Channel?, - The Isle of Wight, The Channel Islands (where Esoterica is made), Southwell- those are the only places in The Channel I know of....
I’ll have to pass - my family only stretched as far west as Wiltshire. A few visits to north Devon is as close as I’ve ever been to Cornwall!

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.