PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

FaceGamer1990

Lurker
Jul 11, 2022
I'm a new pipe smoker who doesn't know what to do. The basic pack and lighting I understand, where I fail is keeping the pipe cool and finding flavors. As for what I smoke, I've been smoking aromatics and I'd like recommendations on anything.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Welcome from the Pacific NW. You've certainly come to the right place. Lots of info here if you search prior forums.

This is also a good place to check tobacco reviews, especially if you find a reviewer with similar tastes:

For keeping your pipe cool, be sure to puff slowly. Enjoy!

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
Welcome from Virginia
It just takes practice and trial and error but keep at it and it will come naturally. Stick with the basics and keep it simple.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Welcome from KC!! You problem anyone of several but I would suggest that you don't pack the as tightly and above all smoke slower.

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
Howdy & welcome.
I started off with aromatics, about three years ago, after a couple of months I thought this was a bad idea and tossed my pipe in a draw.
Fast forward to now.
I watched a few YT vids. Started trying various other blends to see what I liked. Found my particular blend and am now enjoying the hobby.
You've just got to experiment a little.

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
Hello and welcome from West Virginia. I recommend you buy a bunch of 1 oz. samples until you find the tobacco that makes your tires spin. That way you get a good choice and haven't spent a great deal of money.

tklee

Lifer
Dec 31, 2021
Malaysia
Hi, and welcome from Malaysia. I also just started pipe smoking about 7 months time. I started with aromatic. If you start with aromatic, you need to smoke it really slow, coz aromatic tobacco tend to smoke hotter and more moisture. I am still smoking aromatic, nothing's wrong with keeping to aromatic, but you need to find a tobacco that you like. It'll be good, if you can find some tobacco shop that has sample. Or, find a group of pipe smoking friends, and exchange tobacco. I am not that lucky, I'm a lone ranger pipe smoker in my country, most of my pipe smoking friends are here, so I gotta buy the whole can of tobacco to try until it finish. ?

OldWill

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 9, 2022
Blanco, Texas
Dry the tobacco until it crackles, then go for it slowly. With time, you'll be able to find a cadence that works for a higher moisture level. Good Luck, and Welcome from Central Texas.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For blends, I recommend you try a good basic Virginia and a good basic burley, since those are the base tobaccos for most blends, base meaning one of those is the highest proportion of most blends. Amphora Virginia and Amphora Burley might be good choices for this purpose. These are non-aromatic, that is, not flavored.

I also recommend that for the first two years or so, buy only small quantities of anything, even the blends you like very much, since your tastes will change a lot. Anything you don't like, jar and try again in about a year. It may taste like a whole new blend.

By small quantities, I mean an ounce or two of bulk (sold in baggies); one tin; or one pouch. The Amphora blends come in pouches and are moderately priced.

Welcome aboard from central North Carolina.