PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Bom Dia / G'Day

Switzerland is just one of many countries I've spent a lot of time in for work. I worked on parallel projects for separate customers just outside of Zurich (office in Horgan and data centre in Winterthur) and in Lugano for 4 years so I have spent a lot more time on the train or driving between Zurich and Ticino than is common for most visitors!

Lovely country. I will however confess that whilst one of my skiing buddies is Swiss I've never actually skied in Switzerland (we always seemed to end up in Austria... ...which fact nearly once got me thrown out of the hotel in Winterthur. On one occasion I arrived on the Sunday night as usual but with my skis; hotel manager queried this since my colleagues had already checked in as usual for the working week ahead. I foolishly said "yes, I am here for a weeks work then I'm going to Austria skiing with my friends". Manager replied "Austria? Austria? You can ski in Switzerland" and refused to speak to me again all week...). Funnily the winter after I relocated to Australia they decided they would go skiing in Switzerland; if only I'd waited a year.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Interesting pipe [The guys holding it upside down in the pic, yes?]
Yep. I actually have an identical pipe that I need to restore. It has a horn stem with an orific bit attached by chains, a gilded cow motif on the front, and a metal bowl insert with a windcap. It also has a Cutty style metal foot. I've seen several pics of Irish folk smoking Dublins and Cutties upside down, either to keep rain out of the chamber, or just for the hell of it. It works better than most would think. @condorlover1 lights his cutty upside down and here's a pic of me smoking a Dublin in the rain:
20200113_135342.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: chopper

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Yep. I actually have an identical pipe that I need to restore. It has a horn stem with an orific bit attached by chains, a gilded cow motif on the front, and a metal bowl insert with a windcap. It also has a Cutty style metal foot. I've seen several pics of Irish folk smoking Dublins and Cutties upside down, either to keep rain out of the chamber, or just for the hell of it. It works better than most would think. @condorlover1 lights his cutty upside down and here's a pic of me smoking a Dublin in the rain:
View attachment 23575
Cool beard Blue.

Interesting. Before I spend a day in the truck, I load a couple of pipes and light them both up [A false then a true light] then extinguish before putting in my shirt pocket because I found that the contents don't fall out that way.
Never thought to smoke a bowl upside down though. Clever. [Necessity IS the mother of invention, lol]

Reactions: rushx9

JohnnyAZ

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 14, 2019
Welcome, I've spent a few years in the Garmisch area of Germany which is in the Alps and it's my favorite place on the planet. Looking forward to hearing from you and happy smokes!

Status
Not open for further replies.