Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry Lennox

Can't Leave
Aug 11, 2021
Southern California
Hello all from sunny southern California, home of the original Tinder Box (now gone) and Kramer's Tobacco Shop to the Stars in Beverly Hills (now also gone).

I have been a pipe enthusiast for more than 20 years and learned from my father. His blend was Balkan Sobranie 759. I remember the smell of a fresh tin from when I was a kid and he would open one in our house.

Hope to contribute to the discussions here. Thanks for any welcome.

dochowl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 30, 2020
Torrance, CA
Hey there. to the group. The Tinderbox in Santa Monica was where I cut my teeth in pipe smoking 25 years ago. I spent a lot of time there talking with Ed and the other guys. Learned a lot there. That place is greatly missed. :(

What part of SoCal? I'm in Torrance. We've got at least a few members on here from the South Bay.

Terry Lennox

Can't Leave
Aug 11, 2021
Southern California
Hey there. to the group. The Tinderbox in Santa Monica was where I cut my teeth in pipe smoking 25 years ago. I spent a lot of time there talking with Ed and the other guys. Learned a lot there. That place is greatly missed. :(

What part of SoCal? I'm in Torrance. We've got at least a few members on here from the South Bay.
West LA.

Reactions: Servant King

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hello all from sunny southern California, home of the original Tinder Box (now gone) and Kramer's Tobacco Shop to the Stars in Beverly Hills (now also gone).

I have been a pipe enthusiast for more than 20 years and learned from my father. His blend was Balkan Sobranie 759. I remember the smell of a fresh tin from when I was a kid and he would open one in our house.

Hope to contribute to the discussions here. Thanks for any welcome.
Welcome from the Center Of The Known Universe

Burbank...

Reactions: Terry Lennox

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Welcome to the forum, from Frazier Park, CA. My wife grew up in Cheviot Hills. You, my friend, are in proximity to Tobacco Trader, the last B&M in LA proper! Which is also near Alana's Coffee at Venice & Centinela, where I order all my beans.

All us SoCal guys miss the Tinder Box. Enjoy your journey!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard from central North Carolina. I'm familiar with Southern Cal from years in the Navy, San Diego boot and A schools, and home-ported in Long Beach, along with concurrent trips on leave and vacations in later life. I bussed into L.A. from the ship and saw Wilt Chamberlain play for the Lakers back during the Trojan War.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Also a welcome, from the Monterey Peninsula! A request:

Please put your location in your Profile as people are forgetful.
Why:
That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts.
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. Just country if you must.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Tinder Box in LA: a few months before it closed, I made a pilgrimage to the store. It was sad, as the pipes and tobaccos were sparse. The atmosphere was gloomy.
Not so at Kramer's where service and supplies were good until they shut the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.