PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

OKSooner

Lurker
Nov 15, 2021
Hello all,

I am a relatively new regular pipe smoker, I am also a cigar smoker. I do scuba diving, and I'm a language enthusiast and musician.

I trained in education, and had been working in insurance, planning to go back to education soon, in academic affairs of higher ed most likely, or student services.

My uncle is a long-time pipe smoker and musician, and being similar to me in many ways, it's no surprise I'd take up the briar as well. I do seem to prefer English blends more than he does though. :)

Looking forward to reading and discussing here.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome from central N.C. I've been in your part of the country, on a newspaper internship in Neosho, Mo., just across the border from Oklahoma. I sympathize with your career explorations. I was fairly sure I'd be a newspaper journalist or a teacher of journalism or English as I completed school. I ended up being a writer/editor in several capacities with an environmental health research organization for 33 years, drawing on some excellent high school and college biology courses that I thought I'd never use to earn a living. Ha. When I got out of the Navy, both newspapers and teaching were lower employment opportunities than before.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
We're glad that you're here, OKSooner!
I'm curious to hear more about your being a "language enthusiast." Do you mean that you like to learn new languages?
In any case, welcome from NE Wisconsin!

OKSooner

Lurker
Nov 15, 2021
We're glad that you're here, OKSooner!
I'm curious to hear more about your being a "language enthusiast." Do you mean that you like to learn new languages?
In any case, welcome from NE Wisconsin!
Yes, I majored in Latin during undergrad, graduate education is in education.

I learned a bit of ancient Greek, I really spent the most time with Russian, and I have learned a bit of Sanskrit. The Romance languages are easy to read, and I've also done some study in Finnish, German, Japanese, Mandarin, and Vietnamese. I am fluent in none of these, but I primarily wished to learn how the languages work as much as speaking them, and the European languages at least I can speak well enough to use for travel.

Reactions: Trainpipeman

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Yes, I majored in Latin during undergrad, graduate education is in education.

I learned a bit of ancient Greek, I really spent the most time with Russian, and I have learned a bit of Sanskrit. The Romance languages are easy to read, and I've also done some study in Finnish, German, Japanese, Mandarin, and Vietnamese. I am fluent in none of these, but I primarily wished to learn how the languages work as much as speaking them, and the European languages at least I can speak well enough to use for travel.

Impressive! I did French in high school and Koine Greek in college. Since then I've dabbled with German and tried to teach myself Quenya from Fauskanger's book. At the moment my kids are using the Latin Alive! curricula and I'm trying to learn along with them.

Reactions: OKSooner
Status
Not open for further replies.