PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Hi, Everybody,

I'm hailing from NE WI. I have a bunch of kids, have done a variety of things (from teaching classical literature to managing a taproom to cabinet drafting), enjoy traditional archery, have lately tried my hand at making fly rods (despite never catching anything when pretending to fly fish), and (more to the point) have smoked pipes for something like twelve years.

I was raised with a tobacco taboo, but as a young boy who loved Lewis and Tolkien I told my dad, "I won't smoke... but IF I do, it will be a pipe."

About twelve years ago, I ducked into an antique shop and asked if they had any tobacco pipes around. I left that shop with one of those old, Decatur 24 pipe racks, complete with fourteen pipes, among them a Savinelli, a Peterson, a Sasieni, a Comoy's, a couple of Ascortis, etc. *All for $20 (!)* I didn't realize at that time that I had landed some really decent pipes for practically nothing.

In those early days, I liked Shortcut to Mushrooms (RIP), and Boswell's Northwoods (still do). Eventually FM Cellar became my favorite (also RIP...). These days, favorites include Plum Pudding, Cabbies Mixture, etc.

I've read the pipesmagazine forums for a long time. In fact, it may be that I've learned more from these forums, over the years, than from any other source. But I never joined until today.

If you happen to be in NE Wisconsin (or the adjacent part of the UP) and ever want to smoke pipes together, I'd be glad to.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Welcome! I absolutely love the North Woods, northern Wisconsin and the UP in particular. I'm jealous of you for perhaps 6 months out of the year. The other 6 months, I'm happy to live further south. When I lived in Chicago, I considered a move to WI, but the winters ultimately kept me away. Beautiful country though. Absolutely beautiful, and lakes everywhere. Everyone with a few bucks can have a lake cabin.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
Welcome from down the Lakeshore in Chicago.

I think my favorite thing about your part of the world is that all the country roads have signs at the intersection with the state road saying who lives there. Also, that these signs are about 10' off the ground, so the mailman can see them over the snow drifts in winter.

If you have or know about a pipe smoking friendly remote campsite, cabin, or hunting lodge up that way, there are a few of us who would love to celebrate a hard day's hike with tobacco and perhaps whisky by a fireplace...

Latakia Dave

Lifer
Mar 4, 2021
Shenandoah Vally Virginia
Hi, Everybody,

I'm hailing from NE WI. I have a bunch of kids, have done a variety of things (from teaching classical literature to managing a taproom to cabinet drafting), enjoy traditional archery, have lately tried my hand at making fly rods (despite never catching anything when pretending to fly fish), and (more to the point) have smoked pipes for something like twelve years.

I was raised with a tobacco taboo, but as a young boy who loved Lewis and Tolkien I told my dad, "I won't smoke... but IF I do, it will be a pipe."

About twelve years ago, I ducked into an antique shop and asked if they had any tobacco pipes around. I left that shop with one of those old, Decatur 24 pipe racks, complete with fourteen pipes, among them a Savinelli, a Peterson, a Sasieni, a Comoy's, a couple of Ascortis, etc. *All for $20 (!)* I didn't realize at that time that I had landed some really decent pipes for practically nothing.

In those early days, I liked Shortcut to Mushrooms (RIP), and Boswell's Northwoods (still do). Eventually FM Cellar became my favorite (also RIP...). These days, favorites include Plum Pudding, Cabbies Mixture, etc.

I've read the pipesmagazine forums for a long time. In fact, it may be that I've learned more from these forums, over the years, than from any other source. But I never joined until today.

If you happen to be in NE Wisconsin (or the adjacent part of the UP) and ever want to smoke pipes together, I'd be glad to.
Welcome to the forum from Virginia!

Reactions: SBC

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
Hi, Everybody,

Howdy, from somewhat near your neck of the woods: Wausau! You live in one of the most beautiful parts of the country. I pass through that area occasionally to visit family in Crystal Falls. Greetings and happy forum posting!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome from the Central Coast of California!

Please put your location in your Profile, as people are forgetful.
Why:
That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts.
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. Just country if you must.

Attachments

• 1633544549230.png
    1633544549230.png
    349.5 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: SBC and Singularis

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Welcome from down the Lakeshore in Chicago.

I think my favorite thing about your part of the world is that all the country roads have signs at the intersection with the state road saying who lives there. Also, that these signs are about 10' off the ground, so the mailman can see them over the snow drifts in winter.

If you have or know about a pipe smoking friendly remote campsite, cabin, or hunting lodge up that way, there are a few of us who would love to celebrate a hard day's hike with tobacco and perhaps whisky by a fireplace...
Chilllucky,
Few of the "camps" are owned by those local to them, so it's hard to develop a relationship. But for whatever it's worth--and if you can settle for a NG fireplace--you're welcome to visit my home in Niagara for a pipe and a whiskey!

Reactions: chopper and jpmcwjr

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Welcome to the forum from Virginia!
LD,
I see that you hail from the Shenandoah. My first ancestor on this side of the pond arrived in 1738, and his grandson moved to The Valley, where my paternal line has lived ever since. Or at least, up to my grandparents, who still live on family land just outside Harrisonburg. I still hold out unrealistic hope of inheriting that land, someday, and when my kids were younger I sometimes sang them to sleep with Shenandoah.

Reactions: chopper

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard from central N.C. Growing up, my family used to vacation at Door County among other places. What a lucky find at the antique store.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Howdy, from somewhat near your neck of the woods: Wausau! You live in one of the most beautiful parts of the country. I pass through that area occasionally to visit family in Crystal Falls. Greetings and happy forum posting!
Singularis,
Nice to meet you! I'm in Wausau every once in a while. In the last few months I was there a couple of times -- once to pick up a bow from a custom bowyer in the area, and another time to pick up a pair of Thorogoods from their seconds outlet.
I'm in Niagara, and if you're ever going to be nearby, feel free to PM me about getting together!

Status
Not open for further replies.