PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiggles

Lurker
Oct 10, 2021
MS Gulf Coast
Hello to everyone, I used to smoke a pipe years ago and it just fell by the wayside but I'm back now. Would anyone care to offer a recommendation on a solid pipe that won't break the bank. All i have now is an old yellow bowl brylon pipe some no name briar that's not to bad and I just ordered a mm let freedom ring. The brylon gives horrible younger bite.

Anyway, glad to be here. Hope y'all are all doing good.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Welcome to the forums. I'm in MS myself and have been here for over 21 years. I love it, as I live in the country away from all the hub-bub. I recommend a corn cob from Missouri Meerschaum. Great pipes for just a few dollars. Otherwise, check out the pipes on the sponsor sites in the left column. Many times they have very reasonably priced briar pipes like Rossi. If you happen to live near Jackson, you have to visit one of the best pipe shops in the country. The Country Squire in a great shop that is very pipe forward, and the owner Jon David is first rate, a sponsor here, and has some great tobacco blends that he created for his shop. Cheers, enjoy!

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Hello to everyone, I used to smoke a pipe years ago and it just fell by the wayside but I'm back now. Would anyone care to offer a recommendation on a solid pipe that won't break the bank. All i have now is an old yellow bowl brylon pipe some no name briar that's not to bad and I just ordered a mm let freedom ring. The brylon gives horrible younger bite.

G'day and welcome from Oz.

I've got close to forty pipes in my rotation [and just as many sitting in boxes] that included two MM cobs.
They're such good smokers that I ordered nine from Missouri Meerschaum.
They've been stuck in Chicago for six weeks thanks to the scamdemic.

Knowing I was in for a long wait, four weeks ago I bought four MM cobs from a Kiwi member.
They arrived three days ago and they went straight into my rotation.

Buy the MM cobs with the hardwood insert in the base of the bowl. It's worth the extra $5 [A Country Gentleman for e.g., is about $15]

If I was starting to build a rotation from scratch, I'd start with six MM cobs [with different sized bowls] and then collect briars at my leisure bargain hunting.

Bowlsmoker67

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2021
Montgomery County Ny

I have great luck with rossi, smoke great and stay dry

Reactions: Tar Wheel

That Guy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 8, 2021
Central Florida
Hello Wiggles. Im a born and raised Mississippian myself. Jackson area for 30 years. Glad to hear your interested in pipe smoking again. There are some Wonderful pipes available for easily under $100 (especially on eBay). I've had great success with Big Ben, Lorenzo, stanwell, and Chacom which are definitely underated and can be found easily. A lot of my best smoking pipes I got from estate sale lots that were unsmoked with pipes averaging $5 to $10 and these ended up being some of my favorite pipes. Welcome to the forums and happy hunting

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Welcome! I agree to start with some cobs. But I also recommend at least one briar to start.

Ropp pipes are French and I have found them to be good smokers. Some are as low as $45, but I splurge ($75) and get the ones with real horn stems. Fun!

Etudiant:
Ropp Etudiant Sandblasted (J03) | Buy Ropp Tobacco Pipes at Smokingpipes - https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/Ropp/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=437542

Vintage:
Ropp Vintage Sandblasted (347T) | Buy Ropp Tobacco Pipes at Smokingpipes - https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/Ropp/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=438033

Rossi has some great models like the piccolo and the vittoria for $46/$48 dollars respectively. They are shaped just like the much higher priced (relatively) Savinelli.

Piccolo:
Rossi Piccolo (8112) | Buy Rossi Tobacco Pipes at Smokingpipes - https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/rossi/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=450058

Vittoria:
Rossi Vittoria (8673) | Buy Rossi Tobacco Pipes at Smokingpipes - https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/rossi/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=453232

Scott's Pipes, made by Scott Klein is another great option, and also at the $45 price point.

Scott's Pipes Burner Sandblasted Apple | Buy Scott's Pipes Tobacco Pipes at Smokingpipes - https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/scotts-pipes/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=438564

All these available at Smokingpipes.com, a site sponsor.

I got a new computer, so I cant give you my welcome from Tennessee pic.

Welcome from Tennessee!!

Reactions: chopper

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome from central North Carolina. In addition to Dr. Grabow, check out Kaywoodie at West Virginia Smoke Shope. They start at around $40, and are extremely good smokers. Back in the fifties, they were the premier pipe, and Dunhill was second. Kaywoodie still does an excellent pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.