PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Any of you Montréalans seeing the race tomorrow?

And, Please put your location in your Profile!
Why: It will save time for others as to where you live when you mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts, and for you in not having to reply to inquiries. .
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. province, etc.
Thanks for the suggestion - I added my location.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Blatter & Blatter would have a largest variety, but if you expect anything similar to US B&M - you are in for a huge disappointment.
Blatter is the best - in the sense that they fabricate pipes and have a long history in pipemaking. However, their selection is limited. I would definitely visit them - it is a historic place, and who knows - you might pick up a nice pipe. But if I was looking for tobacco purely, I would suggest a place called Tabagie Pat & Robert on Ontario est. It has a better selection of tobacco. In Little Italy, there is Cigare et compagnie which has a not bad selection as well. And, one more option - Vasco Cigars on Ste-Catherine O (West).
Thank you!

JSPiper71

Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
I've checked these forums for so much useful information over the last couple years, that I've decided to take my lurking to a new level and actually open an account.
I've been pipe smoking for about two years now. Been smoking cigars, (mainly Cuban) for around 10. I enjoy both for the same reasons: a quiet time to reflect and savor some good tobacco. And I must admit, my first reaction to pipe smoking was: "Wow! There are so many radically different varieties of tobaccos and blends!" and "Wow! This is much cheaper that Cuban cigars!".
Although I am learning that despite, the tobacco being cheaper, the pipe buying bug can be more expensive.
In terms of tobacco and pipes: I enjoy Balkan/English blends - Maltese Falcon in particular is a favourite, and have been exploring VaPer/straight virigina for the last year or so - really enjoying Capstan Blue. I love flake format in particular, (like the HH series).
Pipes: a couple Savinellis, a couple Blatters, a Brebbia, Stanwell and a new Bruno Nuttens that is smoking like a dream. Ciao everyone!
Welcome from Toronto. We park our cars in the same garage it would appear. My experience is very similar, although I started my piping career with VaPers before finding Balkans. Smoking some PS Bullseye right now with my morning coffee. Have you tried Bill Bailey’s Balkan? It’s one of my go-tos. Have yet to try Maltese, will look to get some. The very first pipe I ever bought was from Blatter in Montreal. Their Blatter Reserve is a really nice Balkan if you actually dare to buy tobacco in Canada.

Reactions: sparker69

sparker69

Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Welcome from Toronto. We park our cars in the same garage it would appear. My experience is very similar, although I started my piping career with VaPers before finding Balkans. Smoking some PS Bullseye right now with my morning coffee. Have you tried Bill Bailey’s Balkan? It’s one of my go-tos. Have yet to try Maltese, will look to get some. The very first pipe I ever bought was from Blatter in Montreal. Their Blatter Reserve is a really nice Balkan if you actually dare to buy tobacco in Canada.
Is there room for my motorcycle? ;) The Blatter Reserve was the first I ever smoked! I've heard of Bill Bailey's Balkan, but not got around to it yet. Have you tried Savinelli Doblono d'Oro? Very reminiscent of Escudo. The HH Pure Virigina Flake is nice too. The one I'm interested in is Solani Virginia Flake with Perique. Hard to find right now. As to Canadian prices - yep - that's the way it is. I buy some cigars and a bit of tobacco etc., here and there - it's expensive, but I want to encourage the local B&M even if I still by a big majority on the net. Perfect day for a smoke - enjoy!

Nicolasylvain

Might Stick Around
Jun 18, 2022
France
Bonjour! Legends in Montréal and beyond! I have three of their pipes and they all smoke amazingly! To go purely Canadian, I purchased one of their Canadians a couple months ago. Smokes wonderful as they all do. The first one I bought was a bent billard and then a beautiful cherrywood (poker). I didn't know about the difficulty to acquire briar - hopefully things are going better. It's wonderful to visit their store and meet the artists face to face. Would love to see your pipe if you buy one from them. Maybe it was me who "stole" the last Canadian they had! ? ? Oh - and you know they're part of Confrérie des Maîtres-Pipiers de Saint-Claude? Supposedly, they visit St-Claude every year.

Salut! I hadn't realised they were in the Confrérie. Definitely a sign of quality and prestige.

Cool pipes. I will certainly share photos and my experience once I get a couple of Blatter pipes of my own!

The older one gets the less I want to travel far but Québec is still on my bucket list. A visit to Blatter & Blatter would be great.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
So have you checked out any of the places? (I'm down with no taste buds - aka covid - albeit doing much better).
We just got in last night. I'm hoping to get to at least one today. I didn't check if they'd be open tomorrow. It's a quick trip to celebrate the birthday of the older grandson (we're probably leaving tomorrow evening as I have a 9:00 am work meeting on Monday.) I imagine we'll be back relatively soon. Maybe we can meet up next time when your taste buds are back to normal. Hope you feel better!

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Wasabi's first ever ride on the subway on the way to Blatter & Blatter:

IMG_20220625_131621.jpg

In front of the shop:

IMG_20220625_134049.jpg

Some of their classic shapes on the top shelf:

IMG_20220625_134702.jpg

I'm not entirely sure these were for sale:

IMG_20220625_134913__01.jpg

Some huge briar blocks on display:

IMG_20220625_135041.jpg

I opted for their largest pipe size option, a Lovat with great contrast grain (on the mat with pipe cleaners and pouch of tobacco). I liked another almost more, but it had some tiny fills.

IMG_20220625_134804.jpg

The empty fourth slot where the pipe I selected was (the other candidate with the tiny fills in the third position from the top). Their Signature models are below, which are made with Corsican briar; I was told this is getting harder and harder to get:

IMG_20220625_134720.jpg

The Lovat I picked up, with a pouch of Blatter Reserve:

IMG_20220625_144316.jpg

I was hoping to pick up some Cuban Hoyos, but, I didn't find any there that appealed to me. But, I was thrilled to get a pipe and one of their blends from this historic location/marque.

A tip of the hat to @sparker69 !

sparker69

Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Hey - so glad you had a chance to check it out! Wonderful purchase and encouraging an amazing place. The Blatter Reserve was the first tobacco I bought from them. Let us know how it smokes. The grain on that pipe looks amazing!
And - yes, if you're in town again and I'm available, I would would enjoy having a smoke with you. Have a safe trip back.

jwussow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 7, 2021
Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Welcome from Wisconsin. How is purchasing cigars in Canada now that bands have been banned? That’s one rule I simply can’t figure out. “Yes, this is a Cohiba. Just trust me.”

Reactions: sparker69

sparker69

Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Welcome from Wisconsin. How is purchasing cigars in Canada now that bands have been banned? That’s one rule I simply can’t figure out. “Yes, this is a Cohiba. Just trust me.”
Good question. I guess it comes down to how much you trust the seller. I buy almost all of my Cubans in Cuba - but only at the Casa del Habanos - the official dealer. Why? Because, the same thing can happen to you there: You can buy Cohibas on the beach there from someone who has an uncle who works at the factory, etc. but which end up being counterfeits. Had a friend who fell for that one. He has beautiful Cohiba bands - beautiful copies. Although, if I come across a good Rolex copy at a stand on the street - it's mine!
If you buy from a reputable seller that specializes, I would have no hesitation.

Reactions: jwussow