PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome from central North Carolina. I went to Montreal to celebrate my 60th a good while back, and really enjoyed it -- the food, the river with some expert boat piloting past the rocks, its great art museum, and lots of fine walking areas. I went in the fall, so I didn't encounter any of the ice sliding off the roofs that the signs warn about.

Reactions: sparker69

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Any of you Montréalans seeing the race tomorrow?

And, Please put your location in your Profile!
Why: It will save time for others as to where you live when you mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts, and for you in not having to reply to inquiries. .
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. province, etc.

Reactions: sparker69

Nicolasylvain

Might Stick Around
Jun 18, 2022
France
I've checked these forums for so much useful information over the last couple years, that I've decided to take my lurking to a new level and actually open an account.
I've been pipe smoking for about two years now. Been smoking cigars, (mainly Cuban) for around 10. I enjoy both for the same reasons: a quiet time to reflect and savor some good tobacco. And I must admit, my first reaction to pipe smoking was: "Wow! There are so many radically different varieties of tobaccos and blends!" and "Wow! This is much cheaper that Cuban cigars!".
Although I am learning that despite, the tobacco being cheaper, the pipe buying bug can be more expensive.
In terms of tobacco and pipes: I enjoy Balkan/English blends - Maltese Falcon in particular is a favourite, and have been exploring VaPer/straight virigina for the last year or so - really enjoying Capstan Blue. I love flake format in particular, (like the HH series).
Pipes: a couple Savinellis, a couple Blatters, a Brebbia, Stanwell and a new Bruno Nuttens that is smoking like a dream. Ciao everyone!
Hello, new guy here too!

Do you have any pipes from Blatter & Blatter? If so, what do you make of them?

About 6 months ago I tried to order some and monsieur Blatter very kindly replied saying due to covid related supply chain issues they were unable to get the briar back then. I hope that has changed. I really want a made in Canada Canadian!

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I've checked these forums for so much useful information over the last couple years, that I've decided to take my lurking to a new level and actually open an account.
I've been pipe smoking for about two years now. Been smoking cigars, (mainly Cuban) for around 10. I enjoy both for the same reasons: a quiet time to reflect and savor some good tobacco. And I must admit, my first reaction to pipe smoking was: "Wow! There are so many radically different varieties of tobaccos and blends!" and "Wow! This is much cheaper that Cuban cigars!".
Although I am learning that despite, the tobacco being cheaper, the pipe buying bug can be more expensive.
In terms of tobacco and pipes: I enjoy Balkan/English blends - Maltese Falcon in particular is a favourite, and have been exploring VaPer/straight virigina for the last year or so - really enjoying Capstan Blue. I love flake format in particular, (like the HH series).
Pipes: a couple Savinellis, a couple Blatters, a Brebbia, Stanwell and a new Bruno Nuttens that is smoking like a dream. Ciao everyone!
Can you recommend some good tobacconists (for cigars and pipes) in Montreal? We're going to be visiting next weekend on the 24th.

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Can you recommend some good tobacconists (for cigars and pipes) in Montreal? We're going to be visiting next weekend on the 24th.
Blatter is the best - in the sense that they fabricate pipes and have a long history in pipemaking. However, their selection is limited. I would definitely visit them - it is a historic place, and who knows - you might pick up a nice pipe. But if I was looking for tobacco purely, I would suggest a place called Tabagie Pat & Robert on Ontario est. It has a better selection of tobacco. In Little Italy, there is Cigare et compagnie which has a not bad selection as well. And, one more option - Vasco Cigars on Ste-Catherine O (West).

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Hello, new guy here too!

Do you have any pipes from Blatter & Blatter? If so, what do you make of them?

About 6 months ago I tried to order some and monsieur Blatter very kindly replied saying due to covid related supply chain issues they were unable to get the briar back then. I hope that has changed. I really want a made in Canada Canadian!
Bonjour! Legends in Montréal and beyond! I have three of their pipes and they all smoke amazingly! To go purely Canadian, I purchased one of their Canadians a couple months ago. Smokes wonderful as they all do. The first one I bought was a bent billard and then a beautiful cherrywood (poker). I didn't know about the difficulty to acquire briar - hopefully things are going better. It's wonderful to visit their store and meet the artists face to face. Would love to see your pipe if you buy one from them. Maybe it was me who "stole" the last Canadian they had! ? ? Oh - and you know they're part of Confrérie des Maîtres-Pipiers de Saint-Claude? Supposedly, they visit St-Claude every year.

Attachments

• 20220619_101930.jpg
    20220619_101930.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220619_102001.jpg
    20220619_102001.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220619_102042.jpg
    20220619_102042.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 3