Hello from Italy! Long Time Lurker, First Time Poster!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will Jackson

Lurker
Aug 31, 2021
Lombardy, Italy
Yes, IIRC the U.S.S.G. report came out in 63-64.
This was a very good time to do a survey because many more people smoked cigs or pipes or cigars back then.

The idea that some people are more prone to a disease than others is based on bad science AFAIC.
Sure, genetics may well play a part but lifestyle, diet, habits, environment and mindset are most responsible for illness.

Drs say that because my mother and her father had heart attacks that my siblings and I are at much higher risk of heart disease. Utter bullshit. None of my three brothers, sister nor myself [all now in our sixties] have had any heart issues.

Cigars, like pipe tobacco, have no added nasty chemicals.
The comedian George Burns smoked several large cigars every day for most of his adult life.
When asked what did his doctor say about his habit, Burns replied "I wouldn't know. He's dead". :LOL:
Burns lived to over 100yo.

The only health concern to be aware of; do not smoke if you ever have an open wound in your mouth.
Tobacco tar will get in and aggravate the wound which can, in some cases, eventually lead to an oral cancer [this is why back in the day, when oral health was not like it is today, oral cancers were not that uncommon in pipe smokers]

One or two bowls a day is what I consider moderate.
A pipe after ones evening meal is an excellent way to relax after a long day.
It's the meditative effect that explains why pipe smokers who don't inhale, live three years on average beyond that of a non-smoker.
Thanks, even more great info and insights !
You know, the more I reflect about it, the more a evening pipe sounds good! It may become a habit of mine, once I have'll have my own place

• Love
Reactions: jpmcwjr and chopper

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Wow, I know what tobacconist you're referring to! It seems to be great, actually! I'll eventually have to visit it, someday!
When I told them I smoked Habanos mainly, I was ushered into a room which was filled with Habanos, including a huge selection of limited editions. I was like a kid in a candy store, as the prices in Italy are so much lower than in Oz where tobacco products (cigars and pipe tobacco) are very heavily taxed

Reactions: jpmcwjr and chopper

Will Jackson

Lurker
Aug 31, 2021
Lombardy, Italy
When I told them I smoked Habanos mainly, I was ushered into a room which was filled with Habanos, including a huge selection of limited editions. I was like a kid in a candy store, as the prices in Italy are so much lower than in Oz where tobacco products (cigars and pipe tobacco) are very heavily taxed
How nice! Thank god for our lower taxes on tobacco, otherwise it would be prohibitive to smoke here, all things considered

Reactions: jpmcwjr and OzPiper

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
How nice! Thank god for our lower taxes on tobacco, otherwise it would be prohibitive to smoke here, all things considered
We in Alba for the tartufo festival, so that THE big ticket item of our trip. We were very pleasantly surprised at how reasonable the restaurant prices were, and we drank extremely well at a fraction of the prices in Australia.

The minute we crossed into Switzerland from Italy we noticed a big hike up in prices of everything.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Will Jackson

Lurker
Aug 31, 2021
Lombardy, Italy
Welcome from Monterey California. I have been to Rome, Florence, and Catania Sicily.
Marvelous! What do you think of those cities ? Anything interesting about pipe smoking there, like blends or pipes you've bought as souvenir ? Have you tried the "Forte", "Comune" and "Italia" blends that are sold here? They're mildly popular, they're the italian equivalent of prince albert, basically.

UncleRasta

Lifer
Sep 26, 2019
Monterey, CA
Marvelous! What do you think of those cities ? Anything interesting about pipe smoking there, like blends or pipes you've bought as souvenir ? Have you tried the "Forte", "Comune" and "Italia" blends that are sold here? They're mildly popular, they're the italian equivalent of prince albert, basically.
It was in my childhood that I visited Rome. Florence was beautiful. My strongest memories are of Catania as I spent a week there in the late 1980s. The food was fantastic, the scenery spectacular, and there was lots of music as we held a series of concerts. I was working with an organization called WOMAD.

Will Jackson

Lurker
Aug 31, 2021
Lombardy, Italy
It was in my childhood that I visited Rome. Florence was beautiful. My strongest memories are of Catania as I spent a week there in the late 1980s. The food was fantastic, the scenery spectacular, and there was lots of music as we held a series of concerts. I was working with an organization called WOMAD.
Nice! Glad you liked it! Hope one day you'll return and have a go at our local blends

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
vcztmtjj051vx9m2zthq

Congrats to Italy for the win; Congrats to England for a fine showing.

Status
Not open for further replies.